Drag Washer Retaining Wire Clip

Started by elnath, August 07, 2010, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elnath

OK...I admit it, I did something stupid.  I swapped the drag washers in a spinning reel the other day (Jap version of the Diawa Saltist 4500), and I managed to spring the bent wire "clip" that holds the drag stack in the spool into a rather "unorganized" part of my basement.

My choice is a rather lengthy search of the basement, or replace the wire.  I'm voting for replacing the wire.

I have seen this on many spinners, its just a piece of stiff stainless wire that is bent 5 or 6 times to form a hexagon that is slipped into a groove in the spool.

I'm not sure it's desperately necessary since it only really becomes functional when the spool is off the reel, I used the reel yesterday without it, and no problems.

Anybody (Alan?) know either 1. where I can get the specific part (Diawa won't sell me the part for a "grey market" reel and the Saltist diagrams aren't up on their website), or 2. where I can get the right kind of wire and just make one...

Thanks!

alantani

you actually do not need it.  i'd order one from the manufacturer.  chances are they will ship it out for free.  if it's a hassle, don't worry about it.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I think it is more to help you put the spool back on with the indexing washers when the washers are not aligned properly.  It's not a required item. 

On the other hand, if you are one that carry extra spools with different line strength, it will become a pain without the spring as you really have to watch when you are changing spools to make sure the washers are aligned and fling on the deck of a boat or in the sand on the beach.

You can probably bend one yourself in a pentagon or hexagon shape using stainless steel wire.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dave Bentley

What about the correct sized internal circlip from your local harware or engineering supplier.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

elnath

Quote from: alantani on August 07, 2010, 04:03:29 PM
you actually do not need it.  i'd order one from the manufacturer.  chances are they will ship it out for free.  if it's a hassle, don't worry about it.   ;D

Thanks Alan, That's what I figured, but wanted to check with the experts just in case there was something I was missing....Diawa for some reason is not real keen on supplying parts for reels that aren't (supposedly) in the USA... ;)

I may buy a few pieces of spring temper stainless wire just to have around in the future.  For this particular reel I only have one spool anyway.

The circlip idea was a good one.. a bit fancy for this application, but certainly would be a good option on some of my spools that I change back and forth a bit.  I noticed McMaster Carr has some stainless ones in the right size.

Thanks!