Avet SX 5.3: To buy or not to buy

Started by ijlal, July 10, 2014, 03:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

I was considering buying an Avet SX 5.3 for jigging for AJ's (up to 50lb max, usual size 15-20lb) and similar sized fish.

The fact that newer Avet drag washers are glued up to the spools has got me thinking, as I would not be able to grease the back side of the washer and the spool. What I fear is the salt corrosion I shall not be able to check. Furthermore, I could not understand the need to glue eared washers and the need for a retainer ring that is absent in the newer models.

My apprehension is because I live here in Pakistan, and it is not always easy to order a new washer from the US.

Would appreciate feedback on your experiences with these newer models. How would this compare with a Penn Squall 30LD?

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

you will be fine.  worst case, i can mail a drag washer to you.  you then will need only some two part epoxy to glue on the new washer.  i could even send you that if needed!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Quote from: alantani on July 10, 2014, 06:52:21 PM
you will be fine.  worst case, i can mail a drag washer to you.  you then will need only some two part epoxy to glue on the new washer.  i could even send you that if needed!

You're a true gentleman indeed, Alan! Thank you, but no, I wouldn't want you to send me a drag washer! By the way, I am still using the drag grease you sent me a few years ago!  ;D

Wish you the best in life!
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

fortunately, our two countries are still on good enough terms that postal service is still easy.  i have to go to the post office to actually ship something to the russian federation.  going to pakistan, i need only go on-line to fill out all the shipping info and print out a label.  let's hope things stay that way!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Panama

You should message me.  I can help you with purchasing anything Avet and I will see if I can include a drag washer.
Get on the water, Man!!!

Bryan Young

Anthony is BACK!!!  and instead of Newells, it's AVETs  :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2014, 09:22:33 PM
Anthony is BACK!!!  and instead of Newells, it's AVETs  :D
Hey Anthony does this mean you are an AVET rep?  If you are promote yourself.  Alan is very generous with allowing members to promote their businesses.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Panama

I AM BAAAAACK. You (and the fish) miss me LOL....Still fish Newells, but Keith (owner) is a pain. Not an Avet rep but I have a connect.
Anything Avet I may be able to help with.
Get on the water, Man!!!

Jeri

Hi ijlal,

SX will be great for what you are planning, as long as you don't exceed the recommended drag setting, then the pinion gear bearing will have a long and fruitful life.

On the drag washer issue, I have been fishing with an MXL for over 3 years, fairly hard, and yet to have any issues with the drag washer. I even ordered a spare washer when I bought the reel, still sitting in my spares drawer – not been needed.

This might be the route to go when you buy the reel, order a spare drag washer, and perhaps a spare pinion bearing at the same time, then you have all the bases covered.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

ijlal

Quote from: Panama on July 11, 2014, 08:28:28 PM
You should message me.  I can help you with purchasing anything Avet and I will see if I can include a drag washer.

Thank you Anthony! Appreciate your offer to help!
I live 'fishing'!

ijlal

Quote from: Jeri on July 12, 2014, 05:02:46 AM
Hi ijlal,

SX will be great for what you are planning, as long as you don't exceed the recommended drag setting, then the pinion gear bearing will have a long and fruitful life.

On the drag washer issue, I have been fishing with an MXL for over 3 years, fairly hard, and yet to have any issues with the drag washer. I even ordered a spare washer when I bought the reel, still sitting in my spares drawer – not been needed.

This might be the route to go when you buy the reel, order a spare drag washer, and perhaps a spare pinion bearing at the same time, then you have all the bases covered.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Hi Jeri,

Thanks for the valuable advice. Appreciate it!

I was not so much concerned about wearing the drag washer out than saltwater staying behind between the spool and the washer. I guess that could be taken care of by ensuring the space between the drag washer and the spool rim remains filled up with grease!

Cheers!
I live 'fishing'!

jonathan.han

Yes. Fill the gaps on the outer and inner edge before the bore. No problems with salt intrusion if greased adequately in these areas.
raw instinct

ijlal

Quote from: alantani on July 10, 2014, 06:52:21 PM

On Bloody Decks forum, I read you rated the Penn Squall 30LD as the most advanced graphite lever drag. How would you rate it against the SX? Which of the two would hold out better at high speed vertical jigging? The Penn certainly has a few advantages like the twin thrust bearings and more line capacity. The Avet is a beautiful little reel, all Aluminium. I can't seem to decide... :(
I live 'fishing'!

jonathan.han

SX does 8 lbs of drag. The Squall LDs go higher. For Avets, they don't get a better drag range until a JX.
raw instinct

Keta

The SX Raptor goes to 17# at strike, 26# full, and does not have a glued on drag washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain