night time cobia and Snapper

Started by broschro, July 12, 2014, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

We went out Thursday night to get a head start on the snapper opening.at the ramp by 5pm RTG greeted with light winds and no rain,sweet we said as we made are way to make bait.we loaded up on nice bait and set east.not 35 4t0 minutes into the ride the wind really picked up ! with Gust to 18,but the old Grady white that my buddy owns and her crew,were determined. The original plan I had was changed due to 4 to 6 ft wet swells.so I came up with what I could and boy did it pay off.First drop produced some nice vermilon snapper.big Steve reels up his b with a big cobia in tow.cobia are very curious and often come right to the back of your boat,and this one was pretty curious as lug man tried to free gaff him and missed >:( so we start fishing and Doug gets a nice cobia in the boat with a perfect gaff shot by your one and only.
Soon after I drop down the newly serviced 309 with the old noodly penn 3/0 senator rod and land my self a nice cobia.no red snapper in the boat yet so we had to truck 3 miles out in the slop to a spot where I know they hang.first drop was a absolute nightmare! Lug man  forgot to put his boat in neutral and Doug's line wrapped around the prop which he thought was a Big Fish.long story short I ended up tying myself to the back of the boat to hang off of it to cut the line in 4 to 6 foot swells not fun but it felt good to save the night.soon after we were anchored and touching more Vermillion snappr and red snapper.around 3:30 a.m. We decided to head in.I said we should stop back at the spot we got the cobia and sure enough we hooked up with the biggest cobia of the trip,and after what felt like forever we finally got him in the boat.on the way home we had some engine troubles with the two stroke injector. I think the motor went out on it so we had to manually put oil in the reserve on the motor to make it home.a pretty hairy trip but all in all it was worth it.

broschro

Meat pile

broschro

Almost forgot to tell y'all that all gear that was uesd was vintage penn baby ;D

Shark Hunter

Good Job Jamie! Some well earned fish there Bro! ;)
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Very nice haul!

I'll get my grill fired up, have my wife make three or four killer sides and cold drinks...  You just need to bring the Cobe steaks.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

Great report! Lots of difficulty, but you guys pulled out a good trip.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning on the Sea Spirit to try my luck.  Did you sell your boat?
Central Florida

broschro

did not sell her having engine trouble.it was a fun trip thanks guy's

Alto Mare

Jamie, I was wondering where you got to, now I see. Very nice buddy ;), thanks for the report.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Newell Nut

Nice Catch Jamie, I got my red snapper and bunch of mangos Friday and on Saturday I got mangos again and a big King Mac. After seeing a couple guys get bit off I just put on a pre rigged wire and tossed a sardine and it did not take long to get my king.

floating doc

I had a good time yesterday, but nothing to take home. The sardine I freelined picked up a remora. I caught grunts, undersized seabass and sharks off the bottom. The sharks were big  enough to pull hard; I rounded off the sleeve on my Sealine 600H.

I have a set of steel gears, a stainless sleeve and one of Bryan's 7+1 drags, and most of the parts for a 114H. Next week: Senator!
Central Florida

Dominick

Glad to see guys fishing.  Thanks for the report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

anglingarchitect

Nice quality fish and some good eats, hard to beat it.

broschro

Thanks guys! The cobia is the best eating fish in the sea hands down.

broschro

Doc you are going to have to come to St Augustine and get on my boat when I get my new motor in a few months. the old Honda finally gave needs a valve job or rings she has well over a thousand hr going to get a new motor. I will put you on some fish to test that gear