Pro Max 3600

Started by Simon Everett, July 13, 2014, 01:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Everett

Well, now I have a trio: 1600, 5600 and I have just sourced a BRAND NEW, never been used 3600.....you can see why they became so reverred. It is a long time since I first got my 1600 and the 5600 is just a bit too big for light spinning rods, this 3600 though, it is hardly bigger than the 1600, in fact I wouldn't mind betting they share the same spool size. I had long forgotten how well the spools spin - I can't wait to get some line on it and have that drag giving line to a good fish.  :) I must get the 1600 back together properly too. It works perfectly provided I don't do the inner plate screws up all the way and leave them loose, but just finger nail tension is enough to stop it from working.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Simon Everett on July 13, 2014, 01:41:43 AM
Well, now I have a trio: 1600, 5600 and I have just sourced a BRAND NEW, never been used 3600.....you can see why they became so reverred. It is a long time since I first got my 1600 and the 5600 is just a bit too big for light spinning rods, this 3600 though, it is hardly bigger than the 1600, in fact I wouldn't mind betting they share the same spool size. I had long forgotten how well the spools spin - I can't wait to get some line on it and have that drag giving line to a good fish.  :) I must get the 1600 back together properly too. It works perfectly provided I don't do the inner plate screws up all the way and leave them loose, but just finger nail tension is enough to stop it from working.

Last thought, if that is the case it sounds like the pin itself has slipped and is too long. See if you can push it back further into the thumb depressor and see if that helps.

Unutt

I have many 1600s.  If the reel locks up when you torque the side plate screws, something is not right.  Sometimes it takes me awhile to determine what it is, but the reel should not lock up with screws tightened. 

Once, I followed some advice I read on another forum, and changed some clutch components.  As it turned out, they were not compatible.  It took me several days to finally figure why, but when I did, and fixed the problem, I could tighten the screws as much as I wanted and the reel turned fine.

The days it took to determine the problem were aggravating and interesting.  I have disassembled and assembled  several hundred 1600s and 3600s, and I still learn something from time to time.

For example, I have seen quite a number of clutch levers ground off on one end.  I never knew why.  What I have now learned is that the clutch spring has a direction it must be installed.  If it is not installed correctly, it interferes with the clutch lever.  If one does not know this little trick, one might grind off the lever to fix the problem.

I could go on and on.

Hope you get your problem resolved.
So many reels, so little time.