Frog Lube

Started by Tom McKinney, July 13, 2014, 04:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

Anybody else use frog lube on reels?  It's a gun lube that is also a cleaner and protectant.  You heat the metal to just about 100 degrees, apply and let cool, then wipe off the excess. Seasons it into the metal.  Was thinking it would be great inside a Mitchell spinner instead of grease

Any thoughts?

alantani

seen it but never used it.  i've gone the opposite direction.  i use fishing reel lubes on my guns!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tom McKinney on July 13, 2014, 04:03:57 AM
Anybody else use frog lube on reels?  It's a gun lube that is also a cleaner and protectant.  You heat the metal to just about 100 degrees, apply and let cool, then wipe off the excess. Seasons it into the metal.  Was thinking it would be great inside a Mitchell spinner instead of grease

Any thoughts?

Only caution I would have is that the alloys in your reel might not like getting heated? Really I have no idea one way or the other but just being complete. I do assume that not being extremely hard like most gun parts they may not tolerate much heat.

Anyways, no need to re-invent the wheel but no reason not to try it on a reel that is not precious to you. Light greases like Penn grease are excellent if you go the traditional route.

UKChris

I saw the title and thought "Why? The little devils are slippery enough already."

erikpowell