Gear sleeve pin !!

Started by Marcq, July 14, 2014, 10:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Every-time  I put that pin in, something tells me that I don't need to. If I have a tight drag why should I ?

Do you put it back in? I would trade a washer or two for that pin  ;)

Actually, I just checked a used one and can't see any wear on it

Thanks, Marc..

foakes

The pin holds the sleeve in place on the shaft, so that there is no outward movement --  of the sleeve.

While true that when your drag is cranked down, it may not be apparent that it is needed -- the sleeve also needs to be in place so that it does not lift above the anti-reverse dog.

And your drag is adjustable, so when it is backed off -- there should be no movement in or out of the sleeve and handle.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marcq

But even at minimum drag setting the sleeve is pushed towards the bridge , as soon the star drag touches the spacing sleeve, it can't move very much i would think

On some penn, not having to deal with that pin would make things a lot easier  :)

The best way is to test it

Marc..

Alto Mare

The pin is there for a good reason, If you don't want to damage parts or your knuckles, don't use your reel without it .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 15, 2014, 12:01:30 AM
The pin is there for a good reason, If you don't want to damage parts, don't use your reel without it .

Sorry, hard to picture the thing working  ??? And when I do it serves nothing

Marc..

Alto Mare

No need to apologize, I just don't want you to get hurt when fishing it without it.
It's good to try different things, but unfortunately this one won't work.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lensters

The pin keeps the main gear from rubbing on the side plate and aligns the main gear with the pinion gear.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Alto Mare

That all depends on which reel. On larger senators the sleeve, gear and handle would go flying out of the reel.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 15, 2014, 01:34:41 AM
That all depends on which reel. On larger senators the sleeve, gear and handle would go flying out of the reel.
:D :D :D :D :D

Marc..

Lensters

Really?  Did they make some where the main gear would fit out the drag quick change hole?  Or was it something else?
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Lensters on July 15, 2014, 08:04:30 AM

Really?  Did they make some where the main gear would fit out the drag quick change hole?  Or was it something else?
Yes!
On most easy access drag system there is only 1/8" holding it back, the main gear would easely gring its way out under the right conditions.
On these, it would come right out, here is a shot of the largest Senator;

On the 10/0, the ring by the main gear would also come right.

This is besides the point, you should never fish a reel without the pin in the sleeve.
As Fred mentioned above, once the sleeve lifts itself, the dog or dogs would slide under it, that's when your knuckles would look like Rocky Marciano.
The bottom line... keep the pin in.

Shark Hunter

I have changed 14/0 main gears without taking off the side plate.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 15, 2014, 05:14:42 PM
I have changed 14/0 main gears without taking off the side plate.
You could do the same with the 10/0-12/0 bud, just pull on the ring and it will come right out.

Shark Hunter

The only reason I wanted to swap just the main's was the issue with the ss sleeve and the steel gear.
Life is Good!