80W Advice

Started by Nemo, August 10, 2010, 11:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemo

What are the pros/cons between the Penn 80W and Avet 80W? Are there any issues with either reel that would cause you to buy one over the other?  Theres a guy on another board looking to buy one of the two, so I thought I would ask on here for opinions.  Thanks guys!

Cowbass

I'm new to the world of rebuilding reels but I'll throw my 2 cents in. The avet 80 is going to come stock with much higher drag ratings then the Penn. The avet is going to be more money than a Penn slightly used off eBay for say $400-$550. If I were buying new I'd have to go with avet but I love my penns and I have 30 of them from a #9 levelwind to 50's not forgetting my many spinners.
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Phinaddict

Depending on which Penn 80 it is, it could be a close race or no race at all. If the Penn is is an 80VSX, the race is close. If it is anything else, The Avet wins hands down. Price wise, the Penn will be the winner. Older 80 series, ( 80, 80S and SW), are pretty reasonable on Fleabay. So if it is a dollar and cents race, get the Penn. If not, get the Avet.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

alantani

i think when you get to that level, there is very little difference in terms of drag range.  they will both easily provide enough drag to launch a guy over the rail. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!