Secondary freespool lever on a 146

Started by Marcq, July 15, 2014, 08:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

I know what it does but on what occasion would you use it?

Marc..

foakes

According to the "Word of Penn" --

OPTIONAL ANTI-REVERSE LEVER

This device permits the disengagement of the anti-reverse mechanism of the star drag, thereby allowing the handle to turn in either direction, forward and backward, with the gear train in full operation.

The several advantages of this feature are as follows: Many surf anglers prefer to make their strike and set the hook by direct feel of the line.  This can be accomplished by setting the free spool lever to the "OFF" position and the optional anti-reverse lever to the "ON" position before casting.  When the cast is completed, set the free spool lever to the "ON" position and the anti-reverse lever to the "OFF" position, which will enable you to feel the slightest touch on your bait through the vibration of the line.  When the strike is completed, set the anti-reverse lever to the "ON" position and you are now ready to play the fish with the drag of your reel.

When trolling for Salmon, etc., when you want the fish to run with the lure or bait before setting the hook, the optional anti-reverse device will prove of real benefit.  Preset the drag to the desired tension and place the free spool lever to the "ON" position and the optional anti-reverse to the "OFF" position.  Pay out line to a desired distance.  When a fish strikes, allow thee fish to run with the bait by counting off the desired number of seconds.  Flip the optional drag lever to the "ON" position, thus automatically setting the hook, and play the fish against the drag in a normal manner.

On another note -- I use it to get free of a hangup in the rocks when bottom or surf fishing -- much safer than just releasing the free spool under pressure and risk an unrecoverable birds nest tangle.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

It's not a free spool lever, it disengages the AR dog.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Marcq

Quote from: foakes on July 15, 2014, 09:44:54 PM
According to the "Word of Penn" --

OPTIONAL ANTI-REVERSE LEVER

This device permits the disengagement of the anti-reverse mechanism of the star drag, thereby allowing the handle to turn in either direction, forward and backward, with the gear train in full operation.

The several advantages of this feature are as follows: Many surf anglers prefer to make their strike and set the hook by direct feel of the line.  This can be accomplished by setting the free spool lever to the "OFF" position and the optional anti-reverse lever to the "ON" position before casting.  When the cast is completed, set the free spool lever to the "ON" position and the anti-reverse lever to the "OFF" position, which will enable you to feel the slightest touch on your bait through the vibration of the line.  When the strike is completed, set the anti-reverse lever to the "ON" position and you are now ready to play the fish with the drag of your reel.

When trolling for Salmon, etc., when you want the fish to run with the lure or bait before setting the hook, the optional anti-reverse device will prove of real benefit.  Preset the drag to the desired tension and place the free spool lever to the "ON" position and the optional anti-reverse to the "OFF" position.  Pay out line to a desired distance.  When a fish strikes, allow thee fish to run with the bait by counting off the desired number of seconds.  Flip the optional drag lever to the "ON" position, thus automatically setting the hook, and play the fish against the drag in a normal manner.

On another note -- I use it to get free of a hangup in the rocks when bottom or surf fishing -- much safer than just releasing the free spool under pressure and risk an unrecoverable birds nest tangle.

Best,

Fred
Hmm! It makes sense, thanks

Marc..

Quote from: Keta on July 15, 2014, 09:46:00 PM
It's not a free spool lever, it disengages the AR dog.

Yeah, wasn't sure how it was called

Thanks, Marc..

Ron Jones

It would work when fly-lining bate as well. Just turn the AR to off and watch the handle spin backwards. The resistance of the gear train will keep the spool from overrunning.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Marcq

Quote from: noyb72 on July 15, 2014, 11:40:50 PM
It would work when fly-lining bate as well. Just turn the AR to off and watch the handle spin backwards. The resistance of the gear train will keep the spool from overrunning.
Ron

Ha yeah!! It's getting clearer and clearer, in fact, just for that  reason it makes sense for certain type of fishing

Never been on a fishing boat, mostly surf. But want to get into it, so, I'm learning the ropes

Thanks, Marc..

bluefish69

If you are fighting a good size fish & hit that little lever by mistake I hope you carry a lot band aids.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Marcq

Quote from: bluefish69 on July 16, 2014, 12:30:38 AM
If you are fighting a good size fish & hit that little lever by mistake I hope you carry a lot band aids.

Mike

Never heard of happening but I bet it would hurt

Marc..

Ron Jones

They don't call them knuckle busters for nothin'!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Marcq

Is there other brand  reels that have that option?

Marc..

jonnou

I have a cheap reel that when you put in the rod holder this switch is Knocked. I hate it >:( :(