Upgrading the drag on my Penn 146 with.....

Started by Marcq, July 15, 2014, 10:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Bryan  5+1 stack drag kit and at the same time upgrade my gear sleeve to SS

Hard to believe that stack  will fit in

Carbontex undergear drag washer

The Carbontex  washers being thinner, I  installed then with the help of the corresponding  steel washer

It Fits!!!

Very satisfied with that upgrade, from 8lb to a comfortable 15, could go higher with ss gears but 15 for that reel is plenty for me. My other penn will get the same treatment

Thanks Bryan , Alan and others  for those great upgrades
Marc..

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Fantastic,
I fished a 27 and caught yellowtail with it. That reel fully built will make Avet's run to the woods and hide!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Well done!

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Well done.  Are you able to use the belleville washer in the stack?  I have it in my LongBeach 259 but I had to cut down the spacer.  Wondering if I should even provide a belleville with this set as it is sometimes used and often not.

thanks
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 17, 2014, 11:12:50 PM
Well done.  Are you able to use the belleville washer in the stack?  I have it in my LongBeach 259 but I had to cut down the spacer.  Wondering if I should even provide a belleville with this set as it is sometimes used and often not.

thanks
Bryan

Yes I did Bryan with room to spare

Marc..

doradoben

One of my favorite Penn reels and yours is very nice. The good thing about Bryan's drag washer kit is that at normal drag settings, it's extra smooth.

Marcq

Quote from: doradoben on July 19, 2014, 05:22:24 AM
The good thing about Bryan's drag washer kit is that at normal drag settings, it's extra smooth.

Exactly

Thanks, Marc..

akadashoe

Greetings Bryan,

I've been reading this string with great interest.
I just upgraded my 146 to a Tib frame, and got a stainless gear sleeve from Dawn.
I'd like to add the 5 stack system to the reel.
From what I've been reading, I will need all new stainless and carbon drags, correct?

Thanks,

Shoe

Rancanfish

Akadashoe,

Bryan is likely distracted, but if you PM him your address he'll set you up.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Quote from: akadashoe on May 30, 2015, 05:44:47 PM
Greetings Bryan,

I've been reading this string with great interest.
I just upgraded my 146 to a Tib frame, and got a stainless gear sleeve from Dawn.
I'd like to add the 5 stack system to the reel.
From what I've been reading, I will need all new stainless and carbon drags, correct?

Thanks,

Shoe

Hi Shoe,

Welcome and yes, my drag kits use thin stainless steel washers and this carbontex washers.

Pm me your address and I'll send you a paypal invoice for a set.  I just found 6 sets and am left with 2 over the last 3 days.

Thank you.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice build up and that thing is a very nice, I have a 1/0 thats pretty much the same internals and its a great live bait reel for those yellowtail. I have a steel main gear for that bad boy if you want one!

Hey Bryan You still have any sets left?

Bryan Young

I think I have one set left.  I'll be ordering metal washers shortly, but my cutter's turn around time has been 2-3 months as I'm a little fish in a big pond.  Their customers are big wigs, like Tesla...how can a little guy like me compete for shop time?

otghoyt

Great minds think alike.  I did go with the steel gear. The 5 plate stack and SS gear sleeve.   Abec 7 orange seal Bocas with the seals removed and the Penn splash guards retained.  Real happy with the PEI trigger clamp.  I can't justify the crank handle on a 20-30 pound rig.  Makes the pole harder to hold from side loads.  I used a 500 crank with the rubberized handle. I bought all of ATs Accurate spools he had. It casts super nice.  Got something crazier in the works with mucho mo bling.

otghoyt

Hey Bryan.....hope you're watching here.  Will that 259 main mesh up proper with the Squidder pinion?  I know the gear sleeves are all 98-155s.  And I also know I'll have to change the drag set-up but will a 109, 5-109 main or a 209, 5-155 main mesh up with the teeth of the Squidder?  I want some of that 3.5 or 3.7 gearing for my Squid Machine.