Upgrading the drag on my Penn 146 with.....

Started by Marcq, July 15, 2014, 10:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I personally haven't experimented with interchanging gears.  One thing that I can tell you is that my 259s had 98-60 gear sleeves so I replaced them with 98-505 gear sleeves with 505 stars.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

otghoyt

Yeah I'll be getting to that as I have done on the pictured model.  I am going to get a couple mains off e-bay and see what I have to do.  They are only asking 10 ish dollars for new ones.  One is Parkerized steel.  If they don't work for me I'll send them to HarryK so he can fix something.  If they do work, I'll share the build here on the repair site. 

Since you play with these maybe you know.....are there 5 plate drags for the 109 and 209?  Either way I'll still build one with the different main if it'll work. 

I really like the 5 stack in the Squidder.  They break free cleanly, perfectly free.  None of that...break free, catch, break free, catch.... and your pole loading and unloading on every turn the fish makes.....even when set for 12 pounds.  Yep, that's right I fish my Sqidder with 30# and I have no reservations what-so-ever about doing it!.  A matched rod helps there and that's why the Squidder is my favorite 20# rig. 

But a Squidder with 3.7 to 1 gears is the Holy Grail!!

Here is the picture of the girl and her dad I gave your 209 to.  I'll do a write-up soon.  I promise.

Bryan Young

The smile on her face is priceless.  Now how do you get her on some fish?  I should have put line on that reel...dang nabit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

otghoyt

No worries Bryan.  Pat of Pat's Bait and Tackle is kicking in for the line and some frozen Squid.  Her dad is a property maintenance person for the Home Owners Association where I live and he fishes off a patched up old beater Kayak.  I rig whole squid for him and he tells me how he does with it in the bays he fishes.  Now he can take his daughter peer fishing.

They were both exuberant about getting a reel.  I gave her a Penn pole for it.   I bought the pole a long time ago because it was on a reel I wanted and they were sold as a set at Wal-Mart.  Yeah..she was happy.

What about the 5 stack for 109 or 209?  What do you do to them for your own use?

Bryan Young

pigway

Bryan do you now have any 5 washer kits for 146 squidder ? _Dennis

Bryan Young

Hi Dennis,

I'm currently out.  An order was sent to my cutter and I'm awaiting my parts.  I hope to have them in a few weeks.

Thank you,
Bryan

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 16, 2015, 06:33:34 PM
Hi Dennis,

I'm currently out.  An order was sent to my cutter and I'm awaiting my parts.  I hope to have them in a few weeks.

Thank you,
Bryan

Now you know you can never stop making drags Bryan. It's when you run out we want them the most lol