Tiburon narrow framed 114H vs marlin

Started by Paul_A, July 18, 2014, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_A

So I am trolling two 9" skirts long on my rehabbed TLD50's with a 9" lure right off the transom on my tibb'ed 6/0 loaded with 80lb Jerry Brown and a 50' topshot mounted on a Calstar 6455XH when a blue shows up.

Of course he hits the 6/0 and gave me quite the workout. Got him to the boat and since I was alone I could not hold him and work the hook out of his jaw so decided to land it as the locals like to eat marlin.

Had a heck of a time killing it after I sank the gaff into it, finally got a rope around his tail and after 10 minutes or so dragging it managed to pull it into the boat.

Scaled at 245 which I know is small for a blue but given the tackle and situation was a pretty good fish. Old 6/0's can still get the job done!

edit to fix typos...

Ron Jones

Nothing wrong with that. I'd fish a narrow Tibbed 6/0H over ANYTHING with a lever any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Nice fish
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

jonnou

Great effort They always seem to pick the weakest link in the Tackle on offer!! Good when that link is strong enough !!

Glad you stayed safe You need a cool head with a big fish like that Even if it isnt big for a blue.

Solo fishers here in New Zealand Use a long release Tool and sacrifice a hook. You need to be prepared for that though. I like the Idea of catch and release but you always have to be prepared to Kill. better than waste. :)

Alto Mare

Nice fish Paul! Was that 6/0 stock or did you have some of the upgrades available here?
I believe the 6/0 could stop anything in the water.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Paul_A

Stock 6/0 other than Cal's greased drag washers which I love and stainless main and pinion. Since I switched to greasing my drags the start-up during a long fight is so smooth. I always hated how jerky the drags would get when they got real hot.

Thanks for the positive replies. I am in Pohnpei and here releasing a fish is considered crazy as there are plenty of mouths to feed but I know most fisherman would #### if they saw someone killing a marlin so I was a little worried about posting this. Just know there are a lot of Penn aficionados here.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

gstours

Hi Paul;  thanks for the report and the pictures!  And a great fish story, wish I was there to watch and listen!!!!  I have no problems eating what I catch. Jesus was a fisherman too, but many now want to discount that.  I am building a narrow as we speak.   Thanks again for the post. your OK.

Bryan Young

What a solo catch Paul.  Killing a marlin in the water by yourself can be difficult for sure.  My first marlin catch was with my grand-uncle and his buddies.  I was 16 and the rest of the crew was 70+.  Being the youngest and least experience, they made me the gaff man...oh great.  After gaffing the fish in the gill plate, all 4 of us rocked the boat and slid the "LIVE" marlin in the boat to which I was told to jump on it, cover it's eyes, while my grand uncle spiked it.  It was an exciting scare with 4, I can only imagine catching one and boarding it as a single.

Marlin is delicious.  You don't need to apologize.  My favorite is, of course, sashimi, then dried like jerky or smoked.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

I tell you what that is far bigger than any fish most can say they landed solo. Fine Catch.

conchydong

Awesome job. Congratulations. I like to eat Marlin also.

Islandgypsy

Caught a striped marlin from a tin car topper in Baja couple years back. It took TWO of us TWICE as long for fish a THIRD the size as your BLUE. Congratulations, that was quite a feat! And yes, we ate ours and shared with the locals....was delicious BBQ'd on the beach.

ChileRelleno

Heck of a catch, an by yourself no less, nice job.
Screw the PETA closet brigade, land it & eat it.

Anyone who naysays the 6/0 has a case of cranial rectal inversion.
I landed a really nice 8'/200# Scalloped Hammerhead from the beach with one.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Marcq

Not that you are old but this reminds me of The Old Man and the Sea  :) At least you brought it back intact  8)

Marc..