Shimano Baitrunner help

Started by f15h1n6, July 18, 2014, 05:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f15h1n6

Hey guys. So Im in the hunt for a shimano bait runner. Ive read the B model is the upgraded version of the previous model baitrunner that looks like it. I noticed the only difference between the two models is that youll see a "b" after 4500 or 6500 so its like 4500B or 6500B. I want to get one on eBay or locally, my question is.... Is it possible people can switch the spool to make it look like they have B model but really have the first model (swapping the spool that says 4500B" onto a baitrunner that isnt a B model?) Or are there other ways I can tell from pictures if its a true B model bait runner?

Also, once I receive the reel in hand, what characteristics or concerns should I look out for or "test" to make sure the baitrunner is not a "lemon"?

Sorry but I've never owned a bait runner, I've seen them used on shore and would like to get one.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance!

MFB

The main difference is the rotor on the B series they're dyna balanced and the rotor is wider and looks different from the early ones. So if has dyna balance logo on the rotor it's a B series. I am not sure if the spools are able to be swapped, some of original ones had graphite spools too. I have a 4500B & 6500B they are sweet reels. The 6500B drag washers fit the 4500B spool too. Dawn has the carbontex washers for them.

Rgds

Mark   
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

f15h1n6

Thanks Mark! I didn't know about the dyna balance logo, probably because I've been seeing a lot of non-B models. I will keep lookout for that when buying the Baitrunner.

Cheers BJ!

handi2

You mentioned how to test if I got a "lemon"

The most important thing is if the baitrunner functions properly or not. They are a bear to work on if it's one of the early reels. Usually water gets in there and rust's everything up. Other than that the reels are great and the rest of the reel is very easy to service.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fisher480

The B Baitrunner has the larger line roller I think. They really haven't changed much in whole time. A friend has the original "Triton Sea spin" and my 1992 all graphite 4500, my father has the 6500 Alloy spool and a 4500B are all similar. The B series is much smaoother without a doubt. Water ingress back through the baitrunner lever is the main issue. Check them first.

f15h1n6

Thanks for the replies. I will check those parts out but always wondered if those spools could be swapped as a ripoff as well. Will check internals if I get a used one. For now I bought a new one so I shouldnt be worried. Again, thanks for the help!

delzea

the handles are different too.the original is more of a plastic "barrel shape" and the b is more flat.
myself i like the original although i've never had any experience using the b.
my brother has one thats still in excelent working order that he's had since the early 90s

SacFly

I don't have it in front of me, but I have a 4500b.  I'm almost certain that 4500b appears on the spool and on the body/sideplate of the reel. 

I don't like working on it because of all the tiny parts, but it has served me well.  It's taken a fair amount of abuse and it's still kicking.

Pescatoral Pursuit

I would say the most significant difference between the A and B models is the anti-reverse. The A model has a dog which allows for quite a bit of back play, while the B model features an instant anti-reverse mechanism.

Rancanfish

Since I'm not going too far off topic here.... I found a 4500 Plus spool at a garage sale in great shape, (I don't have a 4500 lol). 

Is there a 4500 plus model reel?  I have an original 3500 and I have two older 250's, but never heard of a 'plus' model until I picked up the spool.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Slazmo

The sizing of the old Baitrunners and the new Baitrunners dont match up that well...

Anyhow the main drive gear is Zinc Alloy and that can suffer from corrosion and the bearings are usually a open face (inner side) and not true ZZ style stainless steel. Check for nice action of the wind and no play of the handle (well not more than would expect). Also the bait runner mechanism, get the owner to hold the line and engage the bait runner and check that the line goes out with the ticking sound and that it doesn't grab or seize - also check the feed tension and finally wind the handle to engage.

Here are some pictures of the inner workings of the newer Baitrunner OC - similar functions inside however just slightly evolved outside. Great workhorse, I have two which I have modified with carbon drags, fully shimmed bearings and laterally done also and hypered polished parts and have a spare spool between the two. Honestly a great reel with some work!