Weird drag setup

Started by Lensters, August 05, 2014, 12:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: Lensters on August 05, 2014, 06:18:42 AM
Nobody is going to hazard a guess on why the person used a combination of teflon and carbon fiber?  ???

might have been just what he had available at the time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: floating doc on August 05, 2014, 06:58:46 PM
I like the idea of a delrin washer under the gear, then all greased carbon fiber. I'm going to try that.

yeah, been mulling this one over for a while, but i think i'll sit back and see how you guys do.  i'll stick to carbon fiber for now, but good luck with the delrin project!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

floating doc

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 07, 2014, 05:24:04 AM
Delrin on the way Boss! ;)

Do you buy sheets and cut the washers?
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Yes, you want some too? PM me your address.
Life is Good!

alantani

thanks, but i'll pass for now.  too much stuff going on.  the youngest daughter is starting marching band camp and suddenly i'm swamped trying to help out. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on August 07, 2014, 04:16:32 PM

thanks, but i'll pass for now.  too much stuff going on.  the youngest daughter is starting marching band camp and suddenly i'm swamped trying to help out. 

Some people are so hard to convince  ::)  ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

We will turn him, sooner or later Sal. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

While I am sure the delrin washers are excellent -- I would like them to be pre cut, maybe Dawn has these?

I'm far from lazy, but when there are 15 reels on the bench to get done, it just makes more sense for me to throw in a greased CF as an under gear washer -- then take the time to measure, cut, and restart the servicing process.

While it is true that I could cut up a couple of hundred various sizes ahead of time -- I probably would consider that too tedious and unproductive.  Got to keep the line moving...

When I do my own reels, I will probably try the delrin.

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Yes Fred, Dawn did state that she has those in different sizes, that's what I would recommend and they're ridiculously cheap.
I would like for you to do one reel and compare it to others, forget about the top of the stack, just place one delrin under the gear.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Top of the stack?  Did I miss something?
Central Florida

Alto Mare

No, nothing at all, we're also trying to get delrin washers and spacers for the top of the stack, but that can wait for now.

foakes

Thanks for the info, Sal --

I'll order an assortment of the sizes I use the most from Dawn.

99% of the reels I work on get an under gear washer anyway.

Sort of like doing a flywheel resurface, clutch, and pressure plate on a car -- then not doing the pilot bearing when you have it apart.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ChileRelleno

Daron, ya got'em cut for 9s & 12s?
I'd like to try'em if ya do.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Send me your digits Bruh. I'll send you some. ;) I'm going to punch a bunch this weekend.
Life is Good!