4+1 drag for 113?

Started by johnachak, July 20, 2014, 03:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: johnachak on July 22, 2014, 03:09:07 AM
I am guessing, from what you all are telling me, that I can get the same result using a longer spacer sleeve. I might go that route next service. I thought the spacer sleeve (This was originally a 3 asbestos washer drag) looked rather short compared to my newer and more modern (3+1 C/F drag) 113.
You got yourself lots of good information above.
The best solution for that reel is to use 5+1 and a stainless steel sleeve, that reel would feet much smoother.
If the stainless sleeve is too costly, just upgrade the drags to 5+1 at least,$15 is a small price to pay, just don't look at what we spend on those ;D.   
If you sill want to play with spacers... go for it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johnachak

Since this is not my reel, I'll skip the SS upgrade. For MY 113, I just might go for the upgrades. I have to see how finances go. Just started paying off Superstorm Sandy bills / loan. Believe me it was good to get probably 80% of our reels that were ruined by Sandy back in service. There were some that were just not worth saving. I did go to all Cals greased HT 100 drags in all the Penns. I never saw so many reels with asbestos drags. Some of these guys were fishing reels that they religiously had serviced every 20-30 years (or when they stopped working). Motor oil kept them from rusting out. I saw a bunch of motor oil soaked leather drag washers too. The shops around here are swamped with many weeks backup. The local one just stopped fixing reels when they lost their inventory to the storm. I volunteered to do the reels for my friends. I learned a lot and this site is an incredible resource for me. Only one guy had the money and desire to hot rod his reel and I did a tiburon frame, new drag on a 505s. He loves it. Most of the other guys were just happy to have their equipment back to working for the price of parts. (And a few beers and fresh fillets of course) Maybe when things get better, I'll hot rod a couple of my reels and I can show these guys what they can get. I know a couple who might go for it.