red snapper mini season week 2

Started by broschro, July 20, 2014, 07:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

another fun day of fishing Florida's Atlantic coast.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broschro

I hope Noaa fisheries gets their heads out of their butts and opens this up, there is no shortage of red snapper here.

broschro

The reel tank has performed flawlessly all season long.

Newell Nut

There is no abundance of the red snappers yet. Party boats used be able to load the fish box with red snappers and with 80 people on board Saturday we got about 8 red snappers. We still need a few years of closure.

Alto Mare

Quote from: broschro on July 20, 2014, 07:46:56 PM
The reel tank has performed flawlessly all season long.
I'm not surprised ;D...nice fish Jamie.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

broschro

I hear you Dwight,they need better management there needs to be a size limit like on the red drum,they need to leave the big breeders in the water. I think they are nuts,we got 4 on three drifts,and a limited out on vermilons.lots of reports of people with limits in1 hour,my buddy took eight people out Saturday and everyone caught fish over 10 pounds.

floating doc

I went on another twelve hour trip yesterday on the Sea Spirit. I got one mangrove of about five pounds, and got a nurse shark of about 200 pounds to the boat. That was fun, and Bryan's multi-stack drag worked great, even with the damaged sleeve in the reel.

There was about a dozen reds; 28 people on the boat. Largest might be 20 pounds at most, probably less.
Central Florida

rjones

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 20, 2014, 09:21:02 PM
There is no abundance of the red snappers yet. Party boats used be able to load the fish box with red snappers and with 80 people on board Saturday we got about 8 red snappers. We still need a few years of closure.

My son and I went out on a party boat out of Mayport Fl last night 39 people on board everybody caught Red Snappers, and many of us released several a piece.  It was a great night and there is no lack of snappers around here.
Rob

Newell Nut

The local FWC guy is on our boat often and he says the goal of NOAA is to increase the age of the red snappers due to the huge amount of eggs that older one lay. This goes along with Jamie's logic of a slot size and no big ones harvested. Makes great logic to me too. A 20 lb red snapper is only 7 years old and they live to be 50 so keepers could be between 5 and 10 lbs and one a day  for a few years and the public should be happy and the goal of aging fish accomplished.

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 21, 2014, 03:46:42 PM
The local FWC guy is on our boat often and he says the goal of NOAA is to increase the age of the red snappers due to the huge amount of eggs that older one lay. This goes along with Jamie's logic of a slot size and no big ones harvested. Makes great logic to me too. A 20 lb red snapper is only 7 years old and they live to be 50 so keepers could be between 5 and 10 lbs and one a day  for a few years and the public should be happy and the goal of aging fish accomplished.

I agree. We  need to rebuild the stock and the big breeders are the key.
Central Florida

broschro

Quote from: floating doc on July 21, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on July 21, 2014, 03:46:42 PM

I agree. We  need to rebuild the stock and the big breeders are the key.
much agreed,why can't they see this? I received a letter from Noaa stating they were sending me a survey yo see how much money I spend on Rec fishing,what the hell? Always about $