Penn 500 Jigmaster freespool clicking issue

Started by marcusaharold, August 12, 2010, 02:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcusaharold

I have this Penn 500 that I let my 11 year old daughter use bottom fishing for triggers, black sea bass, etc and I have a issue with it that I would like some advice on.

I've torn it down and lubed it up, replaced the drags, and did all the general stuff you should but it still has this one problem. Whenever the reel is out of gear if you tilt it to the right a bit when playing out line there is a slight "hitch and click" and you can feel the handle kick just a bit. Tilt it to the left so the spool isn't tight against the pinion and no problem. I think it's possible that the clutch or the springs are not pushing the pinion gear far enough out but would love to hear any ideas anyone else has or if anyone has seen this issue before and maybe save me the trouble of tearing the right side apart and going on a wild goose chase.

Thanks!

marcusaharold

Okay, looking at it I'm leaning towards the thought that it's the right side "bearing" that isn't really a bearing being worn down (Key# 26)

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/penn/Penn_500%2C_501_Jigmaster.pdf

I've also noticed that the gear sleeve (Key#98) is mauled where the handle connects as also seen by Mr. Tani in his rebuild post on this reel. Already have replacements coming tomorrow from my local shop. Will update on progress after I get around to putting them in.

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

akfish

Look at the yoke. I'll bet it is bent slightly so that the pinion does not clear the spool completely when in free spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

marcusaharold

Checked the yoke and it was great, but one of the down force tabs on the eccentric jack was off a bit. Bent it back down and it spools great. Now just need my new gear sleeve and it's done.

alantani

glad you got it fixed.  the other thing that crops up is a worn spool bushing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!