12/0's are taking over!

Started by Shark Hunter, July 20, 2014, 07:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

You better take him up on that Mike.
The price of a one piece replacement spool can easily equal the price for a whole reel.
As much as I love the Big Senators. I don't have any 14/0 replacement parts except for gears.
Just to clear up the three piece spool issue.
This is a three piece on the left. Mainly for collectors. One piece on the right for fishing with heavy mono.

Life is Good!

mrand

Thanks guys for letting me know about the 3 piece spool issue. I had no idea but have been learning and reading much about it since you mentioned it.
I need to think about what I'm going to do. I do know, thanks again to you, that I won't be fishing mono on these (I have a 2/0 a 9/0 and a 14/0 ....all with 3 piece spools :(

Dayron, the new spools are aluminum but they are black, so I'm assuming they are powder coated? How did you get the black paint off your one piece aluminum spool? Thats such a better look than the black coating. Very curious about that.

I'll post some photos tonight of the reels.

Shark Hunter

I'm pretty sure that is just Anodized Aluminum on the newer spools.
Life is Good!

mrand

So Dayron
Your one piece spool is not aluminum right? Seems that Penn also made one piece Chrome over brass spools that are ok for mono?
I wouldn't know anything about that since apparently all my spools are 3 piece ;)

Shark Hunter

Mike,
Chrome over brass spools are no longer made. The newer reels have the Black Aluminum One piece and are still available, but they are not cheap. They are fine for fishing mono as well.
Daron
Life is Good!