Penn No. 149

Started by Crabbypatty, August 13, 2010, 12:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabbypatty

Why can't I find any info on a Penn No. 149
I know it is similar to the 49L Super Mariner, and the 149L But the parts are different, slightly and the Schematic seems to show the Pinion yolk upside down. Also the schematic I have shows the wrong dog.
Was this reel only made for a short time?

Is this a good reel for wire line? I Cleaned it up and it has some brass showing on the spool, so the spool must be brass not aluminum, right? That is a good thing for wire, right?
What is the diffrence between the 149, 149L and the 49L, which has thge addtional lever, for what I don't quite understand.
Last ? what should I use for fiber washers to upgrade the drag on this reel?

Bucktail

Have you seen this link? https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennMariner.aspx#specs

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Just a jig-a-lo

akfish

The 149 is the low cost version of a 49. Smaller drags (Squidder size vs. almost 6/0 size) and slower retrieve (2:1 vs 3.5:1). It has only one side plate ring on each side instead of 2. But lie th 49, parts are getting expensive and hard to find, even from Penn. It may be OK for wire,  but be very careful with the spool. They are frequently put of round. I see a few in my shop but can't recommend them.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska