50sw bearings???

Started by Cowbass, August 13, 2010, 05:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowbass

Ok so I have all three of my reels 50sw's in organized piles of parts almost ready for sleeves and reassembly. Some of the bearings are sealed and others I can open and clean. Is it worth changing out the bearings to all open ones that I can clean and grease and seal or not? Does anyone have part #'s for the two different size bearings in these reels? Who's the best and cheapest to buy bearings from? Thanks
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Bryan Young

I would only replace bearing that are worn.  They are just too expensive to throw away good bearings.

After greasing, it's up to you whether you want to seal them back up or not.  It's not necessary, and open bearing have an advantage to drying out if they get wet where as sealed may keep the moisture in.  But is the sealed bearings are fully packed and then sealed, you will not have this problem.  I've got both, some was not a choice (some seals just would not get back in and stayed put).  Personally, I'm starting to like open bearings because it allows me to inspect my bearings quickly upon opening of the reel.

Several Shimano Reels only comes with open bearings now if that is an indication.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

if you have bearings with pressed in shields, the easiest way to grease them is with one of these.......

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=870.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!