Substitute Bail Spring for Penn 550 SS

Started by yelloweye, July 23, 2014, 03:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelloweye

Looks like the 550 SS bail spring is discontinued and no longer available.  Has anyone found a substitute that will work?  Appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks.

mhc

Looks like no one knows of a substitute.
There are often people stripping reels and selling the parts on ebay - you might need to be patient but the obsolete parts for the 550 SS should turn up.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

foakes

Hi yelloweye --

If you have tried Scott's, Southwestern, Fishermans Warehouse, etc. -- with no luck, then we might do this:

If you have the old spring, even if broken in two -- send it to me.

I thought I had the part in my NOS Penn inventory -- but the envelope is empty.  Part # 32-550.

I have hundreds of loose new old stock bail springs like these -- and should be able to match it up.

Let me know the situation -- and if this would be helpful, or not.

Most of these skirted spool spinners like the 550SS have springs that will interchange with other reels (aren't really that many variations -- just the size + left or right).

If I have it, there would be no charge -- just a couple of bucks for postage.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Hi yelloweye --

Disregard the previous post -- I may have found the spring in a different batch of NOS Penn Spinner parts.

At least it is labeled correctly -- but you can be the judge depending on if you have the old spring or not.

Let me know.

Sorry for the confusion...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmystic_david

I have the same problem. The picture you show on the monitor above doesn't look the same as my broken one.

I made a new on out of spring wire and it is working great so far.  Piano wire is actually spring wire so I got some of that and made one. The # for the wire was 14.5 or 15.

I can describe the technique if anyone is interested.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the information David. Why don't you go ahead and post a photo of what you did...if you don't mind.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmystic_david

will do....can you help me on how to embed the image?

oldmystic_david

OK,,,,we'll see if I found out how to post. The first pic shows the broken OEM spring, the second shows it assembled as close to unbroken as I can. The upper spring in each pic is the one I made myself. It is actually the second attempt since the first in in the reel working and I figued I should make a second as long as I had everything all set up.

Alto Mare

David, welcome aboard by the way. You did a very nice job on that spring, thanks for posting. Now I also know what you look like.  Sorry, I couldn't help my self. Once I started clicking, I couldn't stop...very nice photos.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmystic_david

Thnanks. Obviously I still didn't figure out how to properly embed the photo.

Strike that!!  I got it by having my son computer engineer take a look......not sure i'll remember but this shows both break and new

yelloweye

So sorry I checked out on the thread.  I found the spring I needed at Winchester Bay Rod and Reel.  Dan should be able to hook you up if you happen to be looking. Thanks everyone that offered suggestions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: yelloweye on September 01, 2014, 08:56:20 PM
So sorry I checked out on the thread.  I found the spring I needed at Winchester Bay Rod and Reel.  Dan should be able to hook you up if you happen to be looking. Thanks everyone that offered suggestions!
No need to be sorry yelloweye, the 550 parts are very hard to come by and it's always good when someone steps up to the plate and takes things into his own hands. You've actually helped us with this, I'm glad you found one, but still, David did a great job on that custom spring.