Which reel for #40 jig?

Started by vilters, July 26, 2014, 04:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

I am upgrading a couple of my penns  to fish #40 for jig casting. I have a 112h with tib frame. it has 5:1 gears ( newell or accurate, don't know) and i was going to add a stainless sleeve and drag upgrade, but have been reading posts here about 5:1 gearsets failing in this reel under heavy load, so is that true of the older 5:1 gearsets as well? I'm looking to fish probably 12 lbs or so drag. my other reels are: a jigmaster with accurate frame and plates and 5:1 gearset (also unknown mfr) and a 300c newell. is the newell frame (aluminum reel base and bars) strong enough to hold up for this? I do have an accurate frame that will fit the newell, but like the original frame. I want to end up with 2 reels with 5:1 gears, and stainless sleeve upgrades. would also like to add Bryan's drag kits if he has them in stock. thanks, Steve

Tom McKinney

My understanding is that the failure of the gears when used in the 112h was likely due to the increase tourney caused by the taller spool vs the Jigmaster.

You might be fine with 4:1 gears on the 112h for 2 reasons.  1st, it's larger diameter will make the speed of retrieve higher than 4:1 Jigmaster and 2nd, surface jigs don't always need top speed to swim correctly.

For 40# line and tossing jigs I like my 113h with a narrow spool and newell bars.  Also works well on the yo yo