Spider weights

Started by Shark Hunter, July 27, 2014, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

On my last Shark Trip. John let me use one of his spider weights fishing with heavy current. They worked quite well, and I thought I would make a few of my own.
These cost about 10 dollars each if you purchase them with the shipping.
I made these 5 for 20 bucks. 15 ft of 8 gauge copper and a tub of hydraulic cement. I already had the pipe. They weight about 5 oz. I need to figure out how to make them heavier and still compact.
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 27, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I need to figure out how to make them heavier and still compact.

Lead instead of the concrete...?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

I'd rather not deal with the lead. Its messy and doesn't mix well with a few beers. ;)
I can envision bad things happening. :o
Life is Good!

Keta

Lead is not that hard to deal with, just keep it away from water and do it in a well vented area.  
I cast muzzle loader mini balls to downrigger balls.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jeri

Hi Shark Hunter,

Note your aversion to lead, however we use huge numbers of sinkers for surf fishing, with either fixed or releasable wires for anchorage. The beauty of lead is that apart from cast iron, you are unlikely to get a material up to those densities to get the sinkers down to a smaller volume.

Obviously you are not casting, so the aerodynamics of your sinkers are not an issue, just the need to anchor you larger baits – try larger diameter tube and the hydraulic concrete – then add the wires.

We are casting our baits and sinkers for our sharks, so need some form of aerodynamics, and are using sinkers between 6 and 8 ounces – it is then just a case of getting the right moulds. We use stainless steel wire for the anchorage wires, as they are less flexible than the ones you appear to be using - copper???

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Aiala

Lee's right; lead isn't complicated to work with. I've used Hilts molds to cast tons of sinkers, which saves a LOT of money.

But outside for sure, with a fan blowing the fumes away. And NO cerveza until after you're done!  :P

~A~

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on July 27, 2014, 02:26:02 PMAnd NO cerveza until after you're done!  :P

~A~

Yup. 

When casting large sinkers (24-48 oz.) and downrigger balls (8-15 pounds) I wear welding leathers, chaps, tall leather boots, welding gloves and goggles too.  NO WATER AROUND MOLTEN LEAD.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

I always preheat my lead molds. It makes sure there is no moisture in them and they fill out and make good weights sooner. Stand down wind or use a fan so you don't inhale the fumes. If your yakking a bait out you can use a brick too.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

fsrmn

Those are some nice weights. I use the redneck version.  Bent coat hangers attached to a heavy weight with electrical tape. Cost about $2 and takes 10 minutes to make.

Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on July 27, 2014, 02:34:36 PM
Quote from: Aiala on July 27, 2014, 02:26:02 PMAnd NO cerveza until after you're done!  :P

~A~

Yup. 

When casting large sinkers (24-48 oz.) and downrigger balls (8-15 pounds) I wear welding leathers, chaps, tall leather boots, welding gloves and goggles too.  NO WATER AROUND MOLTEN LEAD.
When I was 17 I worked in a factory that rebuilt large dynamos. The motor shafts ran on Babbitt bearings which needed to be cast in the shop. It was on a hot summer day and the Babbitt worker had his shirt off.  He was a very hairy guy and had a pot of molten Babbitt in front of him.  Another worker came by with a piece of metal that he had just dipped in water to cool it off from welding or grinding.  He walked past the molten pot shaking the water from the metal piece he was carrying.  The water hit the molten Babbitt and it exploded and sent molten metal everywhere in the shop.  Both guys were burned but not badly but I could not help laughing seeing dingle berries of hardened Babbitt hanging from the hair on the workers chest.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

What's "Babbitt"? (The only Babbitt I know of is the Sinclair Lewis novel...  ??? )

~A~

Keta

Mark Twain

bluefish69

Quote from: Aiala on July 27, 2014, 10:07:42 PM
What's "Babbitt"? (The only Babbitt I know of is the Sinclair Lewis novel...  ??? )

~A~

That's the woman that cut her husband's thing off
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

Quote from: bluefish69 on July 27, 2014, 10:52:18 PM
Quote from: Aiala on July 27, 2014, 10:07:42 PM

~A~
That's the woman that cut her husband's thing off...

Wrong vowel (but right thing, LOL)  ;D

~A~

Keta

I try to stay clear of Bobbitts.

Mark Twain