Stradic 2500FH Issues

Started by FishermanTom81, July 29, 2014, 01:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishermanTom81

I have two different Stradic 2500FH reels with two different issues.  One has the anti reverse that works intermittently.  I know that this reel does not have any oil or grease in the anti reverse, is it possible for the mechanism to wear out?  The reel has been somewhat well used but hardly abused.  The other Stradic 2500FH has the bail sometimes close mid cast.  I looked at the bail spring and it is not broken, is it just weak and in need of replacement or is something else wrong?

Thanks,
Tom

Cone

The ARB's do go bad. I would say its probably time for a new one. On the second reel I would check the friction ring under the rotor. It can go bad.  It may be something else but I would check it first. JMO  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

johndtuttle

Quote from: FishermanTom81 on July 29, 2014, 01:37:23 AM
I have two different Stradic 2500FH reels with two different issues.  One has the anti reverse that works intermittently.  I know that this reel does not have any oil or grease in the anti reverse, is it possible for the mechanism to wear out?  The reel has been somewhat well used but hardly abused.  The other Stradic 2500FH has the bail sometimes close mid cast.  I looked at the bail spring and it is not broken, is it just weak and in need of replacement or is something else wrong?

Thanks,
Tom

The roller clutch can be cleaned completely by a simple soak in the plastic safe solvent of your choice. If you need to open it up, look up a post by mattK titled "roller clutch on Sedona" for the complete rebuild which will work for every Shimano clutch with a little extrapolation on your part. No parts are sold for their clutches, they are sold as assemblies only.

As above, the friction ring typically acts as a rotor "brake" to keep it from spinning during a cast and that can wear over time. If the bail does not feel extraordinarily weak when opening it up it is very unlikely to be a weak spring. If you open it up, careful of the tiny bits around the bail mechanism. There are critical parts that are very small in there generally like click springs and stops etc.

Shimano likely has no parts but one of their regional centers may. Call Shimano for contact info.

handi2

The older friction ring has more than likely turned to black mush. When you take the rotor of all the black squishy substance will be the old friction ring.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL