Shimano trinidad a, mods for better casting?

Started by lbg, July 30, 2014, 10:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbg

Hi,
Im a new member with a passion for casting lures from the rocks chasing tuna and kingfish(mackeral) and more in Australia.
Ive been running a couple of trinidad dc20s and a calcutta 700te but recently bought one of the new white handle Trinidad's (20a).
I pulled it apart and found a fair amount of grease in the bearings, I was wondering if upgrades to abec 7 are needed or the stock ones are fine with inox or similar as lube? I plan to mag the reel in the left hand side to make it more of a manageable casting reel.  This is needed due to repetitive casting of irons and similar, was wondering weather anyone had magged one in the 20size? not interested in a knobby mag either only static. Once i reassembled the reel it is making a bit of low growling gear noise.. any ideas? the reel is brand new but it feels like the gears are not meshing properly.
Thanks for the help and il have to share a few fish pics once i jump on the computer next as im on the iphone at the moment!
cheers,
Sam

alantani

go stepwise.  start by cleaning out the stock bearings, then see how you like the reel.  i can't remember, but there are likely cast control mechanisms that can be disabled as a second step. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

yea, as Alan said. It's not the stock bearings it's the grease. Clean them and use a performance lube (oil) and you will be good to go.

lbg

No problems, il clean them out and oil them with rocket fuel...any ideas on the noise? had another play this afternoon and it was still making the noise. I can get a mate to check it out who knows a bit more than me... im a bit of a novice but thats why Im here, need to learn and have had bad experiences with shimano service centre in Aus. Thanks

Bryan Young

what kind of noise?  Spool spinning, only when cranking?  Does it feel like it's binding?  If so when and where you do think it's coming from?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lbg

It only does it when its in gear, not in freespool. Sounds like the gears or drive gear wrirring kind of. Bit of resistance to wind but its still pretty free. Its a low pitch growling noise and not very loud but definately something is not right! Its a brand new reel, have only took it apart and put it back together so thats why Im a bit confused as it sort of sounds like the gears are not meshing properly but theyre brand new... thanks for the help. Very much appreciated

lbg

Bit of an update, there was a burr on the drive gear and it was meshing on the pinion gear. All fixed now by unfortunately having to buy new gears but Im very happy with the reel. It was very unmanageable once the bearings were cleaned out (backlashing very bad) so it needed a pretty strong mag. I was getting around 16 seconds free spool before the mag system. Think i had around 8-10 seconds from stock. Bearings are now lubed with inox mx3 oil. I will load some pics of the static mag if anyone is interested!
Thanks

Zinox

Please share some pictures, looks like a awesome reel. :)

lbg

Hopefully the pics work but basically I shaped a washer to fit the space needed and then stuck 4 x 5mm diameter magnets in 4 places as shown in the pics facing N,S,N,S but I then changed my mind after casting it and decided it might be better with 2 stacks of 8mm diameter magnets to make it a bit stronger. They are about 2mm from the inside of the spool. I can cast 50g metal lures way further than with my trinidad dc due to the lighter spool. Very happy with this reel at the moment only having to thumb it when it lands. I have a calcutta te700 which is magged with the 4 stacks and it great to cast also. cheers

Zinox

Just to be sure, the magnets are not glued, just stuck to the washer by their own power?

Looks awesome btw :D

lbg

They are now glued but not until it was tested and i was 100% happy, but yeh they stick onto the washer fine using their own force and no real need to glue.

Simon Anderson

Ibg, heres an article from a local website in the RSA, see what the guys are fitting to their reels.

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=100230&forum_id=62
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.