Mangos were hungry today

Started by Newell Nut, July 31, 2014, 11:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 03, 2014, 07:31:50 PM
Another mango tip. There are times when the bottom bite is dead as yesterday. Couldn't buy a bite on the bottom with light leader and prime bait. Flat lining to catch them up in the water is another option for your tool box. There is usually two strikes. The first pick up and run is when he grabs the bait and runs from his buddies. Then he stops to chew and maneuver in his mouth and run again. The second run is when you put the reel in gear and set hook. Setting the hook on the first run will rarely catch one.

We chum a lot so I like to also use a small bait on a weighted hook and toss it out with a spinning reel and let the bait fall into the mangos near the surface rather than use a conventional reel and feed line out. I got 3 fat mangos yesterday with the spinner and small baits. If I had stuck to my guns on the bottom I would have nothing.

There are times when none of your tools will work. Enjoy the scenery on those days. ;D

Whenever the fishing's slow, I just remind myself, "I'm not at work!" ;D  Usually out loud. Works every time!  ;D

So I guess there's an application for a spinner, after all. I used to use all spinners, then in about 1980 I built my first rod for my new Penn 990. Now I rarely fish with a spinner unless it's <10 lb test, but life's all about learning. I'm going to follow your advice. What weight line do you use? Can you describe your spinning outfit?

Central Florida