Help me diagnose reel issue sealine 300h jumpy drags

Started by Tom McKinney, August 01, 2014, 12:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

I cleaned up and lubed a used 300h.   Installed carbontex drags, 3 stack, greased with Cal's.

When I pull on it, the drag is not smooth.  Definitely jumps around. I don't want to say sticky, it feels more jumpy.  And seems to be consistent and repeating. Kinda like is: Smooth smooth smooth bump smoth bump smooth, double bump smoth and repeat.

What do I look for when I open it up?

crackerman

I would check a couple things,
Makesure the dog is engaging properly, is the ender gear washer in the way?

Did you seat the drags? But a bind on em and run across the yard a couple times? I have found that this really settles em down, more so on the bigger reels.

Are the gears meshing properly?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

in some of the main gears, there is a lip on the inside of the main gear. the first drag washer to go in must be thick enough so that the first keyed metal washer does not come in contact with that lip.  i found a couple of of these older daiwas that i had already serviced and they started to get stick at higher drag pressures,  you can add another drag washer or grind down that lip and the stickness should go away. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

you might also have a bent spool shaft and what you feel is the spool rubbing against the frame.

Shark Hunter

The Master has Spoken! ;D
We are all tiny grashoppa! :D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on August 01, 2014, 03:56:18 PM
in some of the main gears, there is a lip on the inside of the main gear. the first drag washer to go in must be thick enough so that the first keyed metal washer does not come in contact with that lip.  i found a couple of of these older daiwas that i had already serviced and they started to get stick at higher drag pressures,  you can add another drag washer or grind down that lip and the stickness should go away. 

Yes boss, but usually the fourth washer is the eared washer, he should have plenty of clearance with the ears :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Sal, the problem is the carbon fiber washer thickness between the gear and the first keyed washer.  The gear has an inner lip which requires a thicker first carbon fiber washer, and when it compresses, if the washer is not thick enough, the gear contacts the first keyed washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yeah, joey was working on a reel last night and he was having problems.  when he cranked down on the star, he found a point where is started getting jumpy.  at lighter settings, it was smooth.  i pulled it apart and added a #6B-965 washer to the stack, and suddenly all was well.  the order is gear sleeve, then #6-855, then main gear, then #6-114, then keyed metal washer, etc.  that first #6-114 washer is apparently getting smushed down pretty hard and the first keyed metal washer is rubbing against the lip inside the main gear.  i had extra room, so i went #6-855, then main gear, then #6-114, then #6B-965, then keyed metal washer, then #6-114, then slotted metal washer, then #6-114, then keyed metal washer, then thrust washer to complete the stack.

that worked!!!!!!  well, it worked with the reel that i had last night.  i'm still not sure what's up with tom's reel.....   :-\

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 01, 2014, 04:56:08 PM
Sal, the problem is the carbon fiber washer thickness between the gear and the first keyed washer.  The gear has an inner lip which requires a thicker first carbon fiber washer, and when it compresses, if the washer is not thick enough, the gear contacts the first keyed washer.
I have never seen a lip on the inside of the main gear, unless your talking about the bushing in the center. If that's he case, you could pop that bushing out, sand it down a bit and put it back in.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tom McKinney on August 01, 2014, 12:56:35 AM
I cleaned up and lubed a used 300h.   Installed carbontex drags, 3 stack, greased with Cal's.

When I pull on it, the drag is not smooth.  Definitely jumps around. I don't want to say sticky, it feels more jumpy.  And seems to be consistent and repeating. Kinda like is: Smooth smooth smooth bump smoth bump smooth, double bump smoth and repeat.

What do I look for when I open it up?
Check your star if it's sitting square, turn the handle and see if it wobbles. Also, try a new tension spring.

alantani

if you take a really close look at the inside of the main gear, you see the lip that i am talking about.  it definitely worked for the reel that was troubling us last night, but i am still not sure that this is tom's problem. 

Tom McKinney

Thanks guys. I'll get pulled apart Sunday and check.  I'm betting it might be the bent idea.  The frame was dropped along the way and I had to straighten it to prevent binding.  Might also have a bent shaft .  Which sucks cause it seems to free spool great now.

Bryan Young

My get would be the contact between the main gear and the first keyed washer.  This is one of the problems I'm trying to solve before offering a drag kit for this series of reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on August 01, 2014, 05:33:48 PM
if you take a really close look at the inside of the main gear, you see the lip that i am talking about.  it definitely worked for the reel that was troubling us last night, but i am still not sure that this is tom's problem. 
I see it Alan. Is that machined from the same gear or is it a spacer/bushing?