What to do with a new Penn Torque 300

Started by Dominick, August 17, 2010, 07:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Alan, All you Reel Gurus: I just purchased a new Penn Torque 300.  I need some suggestions on what to do to the reel, if anything, before I use it for the first time.  Also what should I load it up with.  I am going to Baja for the Tuna Tournament and hope for large Tuna 100 + lbs (fingers crossed).  What line weight, what leader weight, what drag setting and any other information you can think of.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Phinaddict

Well, here goes... This is my suggestion. I would break it down and check the drags. Grease them if not already done. Personally, I would not bother to clean out the grease out of the bearings on this particular reel, ( for this first trip). The reason I say this is because fishing tuna in Baja is a live bait or trolling affair. That is a big reel and will be perfect for tossing big Cabalitos or mackerel and lead. It will also be at home trolling. (If you dont have one, get  a Petrolero jet head. Find one one before you go. Petrolero skirts in any kind of trolling lure head shape is good).

I doubt you will need fast spinning spool bearings on this reel, on this trip. I would suggest some kind of smaller outfit, (30#),  for casting jigs.

That said, I would give the inside and out a nice coat of Corrosion X, (ok, maybe a few drops on each bearing&cup too). Then I would spool it up with 300-350 yds of 80 Braid and topshot it with 75 or so yards of 40 Mono, maybe 50 depending on what you are bringing.

Drag wise, that reel has enough drag to stop a small train. But, use the "1/3 of line rating" rule; 15lbs. for 40 mono and 18/20 lbs. for 50 mono.

If you are fishing out of a panga, bring gifts for the boat's skipper.
A spool of 1lb. spool of 40# or a couple boxes of hooks, (100ct). go a long way towards catching fish. I also typically leave tackle with them on my last day. An old rod, reel or lures are nice gestures... pay it forward!

if you're fishing on bigger boats out of Cabo, you might want to check with the company you are fishing with. Many of them have top shelf gear on the boat already. It is a bit of a hassle getting rods and reels through the airlines...taking less makes it easier!
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Phinaddict on August 17, 2010, 11:34:09 PM
Well, here goes... This is my suggestion. I would break it down and check the drags. Grease them if not already done. . . . . That said, I would give the inside and out a nice coat of Corrosion X, (ok, maybe a few drops on each bearing&cup too). . . . .

Thanks for the tip Phin. I would guess the lube check would apply to any new reel. I'm getting a Newell 220-5 for live bait casting / bottomfishing and was considering fishing it right out of the box, but I'm going to have a look inside first. My plan, based on your (and others') writing is: Check the freespool time, open it up and check for greased drag washers, apply a drop of ReelX on each bearing, and make sure the inside is given an anti-corrosion marine grease treatment. Button it back up, greasing all of the screws as I do, and give it another freespool check. THEN, I'll load it with line (30# Spectra with room for a short top shot of 20# fluoro) and a final freespool check before I start some casting practice.

Thanks again Phin and thanks Dominick, for asking the question.

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Phinaddict

If you're bait fishing and/or jigging on the bottom,  the short topshot is the way to go. If you're casting, you might want to leave room for a longer topshot.  75 yards of 20# mono is easier to cast than 30# braid... as well as untangle if you "generate a professional overrun". That 30# braid is very small diameter stuff and is a b*#?h to untangle. Hmmm... better get another outfit; one for casting and one for the bottom.  ;D

Norcal Pescador

I hear ya! I should have explained myself better but I've always been cheap with words. I'll mainly use the 220 on an 8' 10" bait rod with a 50-yard or longer top shot for bait and surface jigs. I've got an assortment of bottom fishing rigs already, but will use the Newell for the bottom when I get bored with my "classics", Penn 60, 85, 111, 500, and Daiwa 350H. Better to stay on the right track!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Hi Guys:  Sorry I took so long to respond.  Based on the recommendation of the guys that fish in Baja all the time, I'm going to load with 50 lb mono with flourocarbon leader, the weight of which will be dependent on the size of fish that are running.  I am not disregarding your suggestions lightly but the Capitano that has caught over 300 lb Tunas says that he usually uses this set up on the Penn Baja Specials he uses.  I will be bringing my Baja Special also.  Sorry to say the group I put together for the tournament have all dropped out.  So I'll be fishing for non-tournament tuna.  I will be fishing one day on a cruiser and one day on a Panga.  I don't particularily like Pangas because they are very uncomfortable for me with an achy back.  On another note I have some pretty good friends that operate Pangas.  They would rather have a cash tip instead of fishing gear and lures.  I have fished more than 35 trips over the last 10 years and I have been approached a few times asking if I would like to purchase some piece of equipment that someone gave in place of a tip.  The last guy wanted to sell a Marauder some fisherman gave him (he wanted 20 bucks).  All the Pangeros at Palmilla in San Jose have good equipment and lures.  I am looking into a Petrolero Jet (expensive).  I hate to buy one and it will be all live bait.  I spoke with my guy in Baja today and they caught a 200 lb Tuna on squid.  I expect that by the time I get there they will be using Cabalitto and Sardina.  It changes so much. Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Phinaddict

Just to set the record straight, I did not mean to imply that "gifts"  of tackle were in place of tips.

Most pangeros in other parts of Mexico, (Puerto Vallarta, La Cruz, Mismaloya, Puerto Escondido, etc.), don't have access to the amount of clients or tackle like your friends in Cabo or San Jose and are grateful for anything that is useful. They don't import Chinese products in the amounts like we do here. Taxes and import duties make tackle very expensive there.

Petrolero color pattern is designed to mimic the local squid. If you set a trolling pattern on the way to Gordo Banks or Cabrillo Seamount, its the color to have!

Dominick

Phinaddict:  I did not mean to insult you re: gear or tip.  I really thought you meant in lieu of a tip.  Lo Siento.  I should have know better.  Anyone that gives freely on this site would not be the kind of guy that would do that. 

I looked into the Petrolero Jets.  There are a lot of colors.  What did you mean by "Petrolero color Pattern?" Dominick

Phinaddict

No problem!
Due to the nature of message boards like this, sometimes it is hard to communicate effectively.... at least I have that problem, lol.
Anyway,  Petrolero is a two tone skirt of black and (mostly) brown  over an orange skirt... and slight variations.
I have seen brown with black spatter/ speckles over orange. Black & brown (50/50) over orange/brown.
You get the idea....

alantani

gentlemen, the courtesy you extent to each other is so noted, and greatly appreciated. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

Alan,
Your board has a level of civility and comradeship that the other boards simply do not have. As a long time reader of most of the west coast fishing boards, I have noted that the readership and participation of certain boards has continually declined. So too has the content and language.
It is refreshing to have this friendly environment for all of us to help each other out and share wisdom.
Thank you Alan for doing what you do!

Dominick, sorry for hijacking the thread.... lol.

Gene