Avet 80W

Started by handi2, August 03, 2014, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

A shark fisherman asked me if there was anyway to increase the loudness of the freespool clicker. Is there anyway to do this?

He also want more tension on the line when in freespool while soaking baits. He wants it to be like his Penn Senator reels and I explained to him the difference of the reels when in freespool.

Other than pushing the lever past the freespool stop what can be done?

Thanks

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sundaytrucka

For the freespool when soaking a bait, I would say use a heavy grade grease for the spool bearings, vs. lubing for speed as most of us do, and mix the heavier grease with a little corrosion-X if the grease is too thick for the bearings and slows them too much.

I cannot help with the clicker, Avet is known for having a low audible clicker.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: handi2 on August 03, 2014, 03:17:11 PM

adjust drag setting. first set drag at strike and then add slowly until there is tension on line when pulling, but be cautious when going this path as the strike and full drag setting will be higher than 25-33% of line used. hope this helps...btw i do this sometimes with my MXJ depending on the fish targeted.

Rothmar2

You could try making a shim to fit under the clicker plate bolted to the right end of the spool, or machine the spacer tube (part No. 111) to bring the parts closer together. Would be safer to shim under clicker plate.
Only other option would be to find a stiffer clicker spring, but trying to get one that will still fit will be difficult.
It's possible, but tedious either way you go.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: handi2 on August 03, 2014, 03:17:11 PM
A shark fisherman asked me if there was anyway to increase the loudness of the freespool clicker. Is there anyway to do this?

He also want more tension on the line when in freespool while soaking baits. He wants it to be like his Penn Senator reels and I explained to him the difference of the reels when in freespool.

Thanks

Get another senator! ;)
Life is Good!

handi2

I tried to sell him my 14/0..!!

I haven't serviced the reel for him this year so I will recommend greasing the spool bearings and then check the freespool. For now he brought it over and I added a strip of electrical tape above the lever and we set the drag/freespool with a spring scale to make setting marks on the tape. If he can only remember what to do when a Shark is on..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

You will definitely hear that Beast going off! ;D
Life is Good!