ABU 6500C3 CT Mag Elite`s SPEED BUSHING

Started by basto, August 04, 2014, 05:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I posted this on Stripers online about 4 years ago and thought some one here might like to read it. I edited it a bit.
The 6500c3ct mag elite is a competition grade distance casting reel and is also great to surf fish.

I bought my Mag Elite in London in 2000 while on holiday. At the time, I couldn`t get one in Australia.
To my knowledge, at this time, the Mag Elite and the first model Sports Rocket (mark 1) were the only 6500 ABU reels to have the  speed bushing in the left plate.
The free spool of these non level wind reels is not encumbered by the plastic level wind and strike alarm cogs that are attached to the spool on CS (level wind) models.
This enables the spool end of the brass speed bushing to ride on the inner race of the left spool bearing. This bearing rides on a floating axle that rotates inside the speed bushing. The spool bearings are inside the spool, not in the side plates.
One advantage the Mag Elite has over the Sports Rocket m1(in my opinion) is that it can be braked or unbraked with a slide of the mag control.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n