More 12/0's

Started by Shark Hunter, August 04, 2014, 06:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I know you guys are probably tired of me showing my 12/0's, but I spent the whole afternoon making a sleeve washer and retapping the handle.

I put Jamie's Emron coated spool on this one. Lee's Crank and replaced the bronze gears with steel ones.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

We'll never get tired looking at your reels , but I don't see the sleeve washer.
I'm glad you put that spool on, it would be nice to see if Imron paint holds up your punishment ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Have you used the reel with the cute long slice out of the center of the handle? I had one of those and while fighting a heavy snapper the thing folded over against the star. I don't want any more cute stuff on my handles. All meat for me. When Keta made me some nice solid ones they worked perfect and no more bent handles.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 04, 2014, 12:27:35 PM

Have you used the reel with the cute long slice out of the center of the handle? I had one of those and while fighting a heavy snapper the thing folded over against the star. I don't want any more cute stuff on my handles. All meat for me. When Keta made me some nice solid ones they worked perfect and no more bent handles.

Had the same happening to me, but that was on the first run. These latest handles are not going anywhere, they're much beefy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I reeled in a 6' Bull Shark with one. Its 3/16" stainless. Lee must have sold you all the Cute ones. ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

I like looking at them! Keep posting, and look for a PM from me.
Central Florida

crackerman

I reeled in a 6' bull with a longbeach 67... nothing was happy. Now I have a 4/0hlw.

I found you can get a 14/0 handle with the same rubberized grip used on the international 80s from Penn, how do these  handles compare ? Handle plus grip looking at 60ish? The Penn one is 43.

And yes, can never get enough hefty Penn's!

Shark Hunter

Personally,
I think there is no comparison. The stainless arms and Kokelar Handles are a lot tougher than stock. $15 to $18 for the arm. $33 for the Handle. That 6' Bull was at least 100 yards off the Beach when I hooked him. He was on the sand in two minutes.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 04, 2014, 11:23:09 AM
We'll never get tired looking at your reels , but I don't see the sleeve washer.
I'm glad you put that spool on, it would be nice to see if Imron paint holds up your punishment ;).
The washer is under the sleeve to take out the slop. I had to drill and grind down a stainless washer to fit.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Gotcha! I thought you meant the washer under the star.

bluefish69

Doesn't that raise the Sleeve higher then the Dog?
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Not enough to create a problem Mike. It is already moving that amount anyway. Lee's stainless dogs are thicker than stock ones. So this helps too. That slop in the handle drives me nuts. The only other option is peening the rivet or replacing the bridge.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

If Lee's dogs were thicker than stock you would have had problems.
Installing a shim under the gear sleeve won't cause any problems, but shouldn't overdo it on thickness, I usually use .15 to .25mm in thickness.
Replacing or peening the sleeve is not the only option, you could drill a new hole on the sleeve a little higher than existing hole ;)

Tightlines667

I'm shimmed under the gear sleeve to tighten it up too.  I'm sure your aware you have to ensure it is smaller the Inner position of teeth and that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the dog(s).  Also it the rivit rotates freely, or if there is excessive wobble...I replace the whole bridge assembly.  I like Lee's idea, except I'm not sure how much higher you can raise the sleeve before it stops fully engaging the dogs, or loses strength by not fully sitting on the stepped portion of the gear shaft.  Thin aluminum sheeting makes good shim material if you don't have the right size factory SS or copper shims. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

John, you might be calling me Lee, not that you chose a bad name ;D, I'm Sal.
About the wobble on the rivet, I don't waste my time anymore trying to fix it, I just replace it.