Check out these Opah!

Started by Shark Hunter, August 05, 2014, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marcq

Wow  :o these must give a hell of a fight  8)

Marc..

harryk3616

Dominick

Good eating?  Raw? cooked?  Anyone?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

They are really popular in Hawaii it seems. There are some good you tube videos on preparing and cooking these.
Life is Good!

maxpowers

They are quite good to eat raw, cooked, etc..They tend to hang out about 150 ft to 200 ft down around the kelp paddy.  This catch was unique in that they were in shallow water around 80 ft or so and schooling.  Make a great mount as the color is so vibrant.  I have seen about 4 caught in all the time that I fished offshore.

Tightlines667

They are a commonly caught species here in our Hawaii-based tuna longline fishery, and are sometimes (3-10Xs/year) caught in small boat recreational/commercial fisheries.  They are mesopelagic and regularly inhabit the deep SSL/mesocline.  Catch rates are positively correlated to Moon phase, when (during a full moon) they typically appear to spend more time near the surface.  They primarily feed on squid and small me do spp., have the ability to thermoregulate, and when mature are often caught in M/F pairs.  They are highly regarded as table fare, fetch high ex vessel market values (in excess of $4-$6/lb), and have 3 distinct types of meat (white, reddish, and red)...though yield is low (~40% total weight).  They thick grained, tender white-meat loin is consider the best eating...it is a rich/fatty and somewhat sweet tasting meat.  I highly recommend you try it if you get the chance.  A good friend of mine is a local expert on these spp. And has published several papers (available through NMFS/PIFSC website) utilizing pop up archival Satellite tags to track vertical and horizontal movements.     

Cool fish!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

wallacewt

El Pescador

These are the real deal! and very tasty as well!!!
Enjoy some on my last Hawaii vacation, can't wait to get back.

But three together??  Unheard of!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

erikpowell

Cool catch, wow
I've seen only 1 in the wild.... Waay bigger than those
running past at 20 knots we saw a skiff sized one breach and slowly roll back down, a cast distance away  :D
like we spooked it...Cool sight

I see big ones periodically at the wharf market here. it's inexpensive and popular with the local Fish-n-chip shops.
I've always thought it kinda gamey tasting.... but I guess I've never had it fresh!
I'd just as soon release it if I ever happened to one.
Am I really missing out?  ;D

Doug

Beautiful fish. I just looked them up on the net and they can carry a dangerous toxin as well  as being high in mercury . I like raw sea food but I think I would pass on these  Doug

Tightlines667

Quote from: Doug on August 06, 2014, 07:43:39 PM
Beautiful fish. I just looked them up on the net and they can carry a dangerous toxin as well  as being high in mercury . I like raw sea food but I think I would pass on these  Doug

Be careful where you get your information. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Doug

I guess you are right there seems to be some mixed opinions among different agencies.