114 6/0 spool

Started by Big Tim, August 05, 2014, 12:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

I have reel nice Black side plate 6/0 that appears to have a bent spool shaft. No matter what I do the more I turn in the non handle side bushing the spool starts to bind in one spot....back it off and she's fine...New handle side plate and HT100 drags. Any suggestions? Any clean spools that's not an arm and a LEG!

Tim

Alto Mare

It could be a bent spool shaft :-\, but try to unscrew all screws and tighten them gradually, there is a possibility that the frame is out of square.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Hi, Big Tim!

I've got a metal spool that's practically brand-new, came out of a 114H (red sideplates) when I replaced it with an aluminum spool. (See pic)

I think it's compatible with your reel... if so, PM me, you're welcome to it. 

~A~

Incidentally, that's a beautiful reel you've got there! An oldie but goodie... (like me, LOL)
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 05, 2014, 12:58:19 AM
It could be a bent spool shaft :-\, but try to unscrew all screws and tighten them gradually, there is a possibility that the frame is out of square.
I did do that on both sides to no avail. if you turn the reel toward the handle side it's good..Lean it all the way left and it feels like it sticks going into and out of the bushing? Bushing looks good to. If Aiala's spool will work I will try that first.

Tim

Lensters

Sounds like a bent spool shaft to me.  I see those occasionally when fixing reels for people who tried it to service their reels themselves.  I guess I should admit to bending one myself, early on, when I was learning conventional reels.  I did it by turning the spool shaft bushing all the way in before I assembled the frame.  Since then I have learned to always back out the spool shaft bushing at the start of reassembly.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Big Tim

Quote from: Lensters on August 05, 2014, 01:19:21 AM
Sounds like a bent spool shaft to me.  I see those occasionally when fixing reels for people who tried it to service their reels themselves.  I guess I should admit to bending one myself, early on, when I was learning conventional reels.  I did it by turning the spool shaft bushing all the way in before I assembled the frame.  Since then I have learned to always back out the spool shaft bushing at the start of reassembly.

I did that on a 112H but luckily I was changing the spool as well.

New observation...I just noticed the handle is binding in free spool??? Back off the bushing and the handle turns freely???

Tim

Shark Hunter

Sometimes, the simplest things can be hard to pinpoint. Sounds like a bad spool to me Tim. I thought that on a 12/0 I did a while back and it was a warped plate. Looks like you already fixed that though. I don't think the 114H spool will work. Mainly because its a bushing reel you have and the 114H is bearings. The ends are different.
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 05, 2014, 02:25:29 AM
I don't think the 114H spool will work. Mainly because its a bushing reel you have and the 114H is bearings. The ends are different.

Uh-oh. Mr. Shark is mighty savvy about these things... can anyone else weigh in before I send Big Tim a useless spool??   :(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

bluefish69

Mr. Shark is a Senator Expert. He told me so.   LOL

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Sal and Lee can confirm, but I'm pretty sure it won't fit.
Mike and Aiala, flattery will get you everywhere, but I am only "tiny grasshoppa"! :D
Life is Good!

UKChris

Yes, the two spools have different part numbers and aren't interchangeable for the reason said up above. The ends are different sizes to fit the bushings or ball-bearings.