6500 C3 drag upgrade

Started by tmbiv56, August 06, 2014, 12:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmbiv56

Hi Alan,
First off, thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge, and also providing this forum for us to ask questions.
I am upgrading my drags to Carbontex drags.
I have seen your tutorials, and in them, you say "ignore the slotted metal washer" when replacing orginal with carbontex.

I just would like a clarification.
Referencing only what goes on top of the brass gear, there are 6 washers. 
Starting from the brass gear
1-carbon
2-metal
3-carbon
4-metal slotted
5-carbon
6-metal top

So, when you say that we should ignore the slotted washer, should our stack be like this:
1-carbon
2-metal
3-carbon
4-carbon
5-metal top

Thanks
Tom

akfish

No, you can't omit the middle metal washer; it must be there for the drag to work. You could omit spring washers on the top of the drag if you wanted to.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ken_D

Quote from: akfish on August 06, 2014, 03:19:29 PM
No, you can't omit the middle metal washer; it must be there for the drag to work. You could omit spring washers on the top of the drag if you wanted to.

?   With no bellevilles, the drag will be on, or it will be off. There would be no range. A fellow can get by with one, but loss of both is a fail.

tmbiv56

Okay, thanks.  I just misunderstood.
I recently did a carbontex upgrade on one of my 6500's and simply replaced all 4 fiber washers (3 top ones and the base) with the carbontex and put them back together.

The reel seems to perform normally.   I haven't caught anything with it, but the drag feels smooth and is very adjustable.