Any baitcaster guys here?

Started by Russ57, August 20, 2010, 06:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ57

Time for a new baitcaster.  Probably been 30 years since I bought my last one and I'm finding it hard to make a choice.  It will be used for salt water.  Need about 200 yards of 8-10# mono.  Need to stay under $250 range and less is better.

Here is the wish list.
Must have a good enough drag to handle fast fish like bonefish and barracuda.
Must be one of the better casting reels with very light lures.
Doesn't need to hold a lot of line or fish a ton of drag.  I have a Penn 525 mag and want something a good bit smaller.

Things I like and don't like.
I'd rather have a machined reel like an Avet than a cast/pot metal reel like a saltist even if it requires more maintenance.
I don't like anti-reverse roller bearings but I reckon I have little choice.  I can handle one as long as it has a dog too.
I don't care for the thumb bar spool release and like the old school type used on the old abu's.  Not a deal breaker though.
I don't like "throw away" stuff.  I want something built to be serviced and last.

Curado and Revo seem to get all the mention.  It seems like the Luna is ten times the reel for little more money.  Rivals Calacutta quality at a much better price from what I see.  It does have that pain in the rear pinion bearing though.  The price of the daiwa coastal inshore is appealing.

BigT

G'day Russ,

What you're describing sounds like a classic Abu 5500C3.

I rediscovered my love of Abu reels after recently servicing a couple for friends. The engineering is excellent, simple and durable. I personally got a 5600 C4 recently and got a second wiffle spool specifically for casting light lures. I also own a Revo Inshore and while its a more sophisticated reel than the old classic style (anti-reverse dog problem notwithstanding) the older style Abu reels these days are every bit as good in their own way.

I also own a couple of Shimano Calcuttas and they haven't seen the water since I started collecting Abus again.

New models come standard with carbon drag washers (they'll need to be greased if that's your thing).

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Dominick

I'm casting (no pun intended) my vote for a Penn Torgue 100.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Phinaddict

I'll double Big  T's comments. I have a Revo Toro, and it is  da bomb... but the smaller profile and higher tech makes for maintenance headaches. The Abu's don't have the drag that a Daiwa Coastal or Abu Revo have, but, as he said, they are reliable, simple and come in every size and flavor. And best of all, you can get 3 for the price of a Toro....
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

broadway

Russ,
     Check out the tackle tour site for really good reviews on baitcasters.  They even did one on the calcutta te vs. the luna... check out and see who won.  TT gives all the pros and cons of reels and their performance. I'm a personal fan of the calcutta te series, but it ain't cheap :-\  The only problem with the calcuttas for me is that I'm a bit intimidated to do my own maintenance.  Good luck in your search... keep us posted. Thanks
Dom 

Keta

Don, I never liked working on Shamano reels until Alan posted some tutorials.  Once you understand them they are easy to work on.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Keta,

I'm gonna give it a go in the winter with Alan's tutorials, so be ready to field some of my questions :) Thanks
Dom

Russ57

Thanks guys.  Guess I don't need to mention what brand that 30+ year old baitcaster is:)  I shouldn't be such a sucker for gold reels!

broadway

Didn't you say you have a penn 525 mag?  I'm a big fan of the penn levelmatic series.  I have the 920 and 930, and have used them since I was about 11 years old... being that I am 34 now and was really rough on my gear at that age it's a miracle they still work.  Love 'em!
Dom

alantani

the 4, 5, 6 and 7 series ambassaduers are very easy to work on.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Based on your line weight of 8-10# mono, you probably don't need anything really hard core like a one piece aluminum frame, and would do just fine with just about anything.  Based on parts availability vs. obsolenscence, I'd probably go with Penns and Abu Ambassaduers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ssiniscalchi

I know it's discontinued but why not a Morrum?
It's a lovely reel and it's really tough!
And is by far the best Ambassadeur ever made. It only needs a greased carbon fiber drag but that's an easy upgrade.
To make things even better you can get a very nice one on flea bay  for less than $150.

If you want to take a look at it here's my tutorial for it. It's in spanish but the the pictures speak for themselves :)

http://arg-abu.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=abu&action=display&thread=8

Regards,
Sebastian

broadway

I looked up that Morrum, and can't find one under $300 (used) in the USA on Ebay, they go for $450 new.  I have heard good things about this reel, but it's a bit on the pricey side for light tackle, and I think Russ was trying to stay in the area of $250. Good Luck Russ you now have some good quality recommendations from the A-Team let us know what ya get and what you think of it.  I love reel reviews!  Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Oooh, Morrum is a nice reel.  Simplicity as Abus go, but holy cow, look at all of the metal...  If I only had deep pockets.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Russ57

Thanks for that Morrum suggestion.  I needed something else to lust after:)  It must be a "moon over miami thing"  or maybe pink floyd cuz that daiwa luna is haunting me.

It all started with some well intentioned guy suggesting I look at hot shot blanks.  We don't have a lot of steelhead in miami you see.  Can't wait to hit the keys humps and see how a 3 power does on blackfin.  How come none of you west coast lads are brave enough to use them for albies?  Anyhow so now I have this copy of a loomis HS9000 by mudhole.  It seems suitable for bluegill but guys swear it will handle moderate sized tarpon and permit.  The more I look at it the more I think a light bait caster could mate with it to make a truly fun backcountry/inshore outfit for snook/redfish/etc maybe peacock bass too.  A more sensible man would put his little Saros on it, re-wrap the St. Croix it was one, and hang an abu on that.

But like I said, I think I'm haunted or something by Luna.

"I turned on the lights, the TV,
and the radio
Still I can't escape the ghost of you"