Cedros Island 8/4/14-8/8/14

Started by MarkT, August 11, 2014, 03:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

It was my son, Kevin, and my 2nd annual trip to Cedros.  Kevin's friend Chris went this year too after hearing about what a great trip we had last year. This trip is with the SeƱor Tuna crew and we went with Cedros Outdoor Adventures.  We fly to the island from Ensenada. We fish from 28' Pangas with 3 fishermen. Our Captain this year was Carlos. He really loves YT and fishing yoyo. He doesn't speak much english but you hear 'sleeping' a lot if you whif on a fish!

Fishing for Yellowtail was off the charts... I caught 26 on Thursday alone! Way more than I'd ever caught before on a single trip never mind in one day.  The 3 of us caught well over 100 in 3 1/2 days of fishing.  Chris caught a 20# Dorado too.  It was the first for the operation this season.  I probably had 50 Calicos, Kevin had a lot more... He was still catching Calicos while Chris and I were yoyoing up YT. The YT were mostly in the 10-20# range. We were about mass, not class this year.  Kevin even got a YT on an Alabama rig!  You've never heard so much hooting and laughing over that!  We all got YT on our 8' bass sticks plus the 50# rigs we actually brought for yellows. Bait was hard to make and was small.  The only bait fish was one lost Sand bass on a flylined mini-mac in 120' of water. We got YT on Tady C, 45, Salas 6xJr, 6x, 7x, Rapala Magnum X-Raps, Yo-Zuri Hydro Magnum, big Lucky Crafts and plastics (5-7" plastics on 1-2oz leadheads).  I didn't get anything on Megabaits... how'd that happen?  Did get a few Calicos and a 'cuda on a WaxWing.  Carlos hates WW and wanted to throw them over!  We're ready to go back now!

I used a Lexa 300 on a Phenix psw808mh, Lexa 400/psw809H, Avet JX Raptor/psw700xh.
Kevin had a Curado 300EJ/Cousins Raze RSW 799LPT, Abu NaCl 50/Phenix M1 SMX-82MH and an HX Raptor/Seeker G6470H.
Chris had a Curado 300E/G.Loomis, Curado 300EJ/Terez and a Trini 20/Calstar GF700H.  Chris's custom G.Loomis snapped on a YT below the reel seat. It was captured on video!

I lost a 6xJr and 2 7x Lites that I've replaced.  We gave our Rapala Magnum X-Rap 20 to Carlos, our Panguero, when we left.  I still need to pick up a couple more but they're hard to find at the moment.  I'll probably try the Halco 130's next year too. I've also picked up some Owner Stinger treble hooks and still need some of their split rings.  Hooks and rings get busted up when you're shaking off lots of YT!

My son got a YT on a 6xJr this past Monday fishing with a friend out of Dana Point.  The trip to Cedros this year sold him on being a real jig slinger!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Islandgypsy

Thanks Mark for the update. Leaving Wed. morn. on the Am.Ang. Rumors are the BFT ban has been lifted in Mex. waters and imagine that will be the target if that is true....BUT hard to top quality YT fishing. Picked up an 800 H and 25 Saltist @ Charkbait this afternoon thinking we would end up at Cedros on this seven day. May still happen...appreciate what worked for you (taking notes) and sounds like you had a great trip. Always have old school 90J and 338 if the new stuff does not work.

erikpowell

johndtuttle

Wish every guy who loved fishing got to get into a WFO yellow bite. Hard pulling fish that when they get on the chew will bite iron like they are on a suicide mission!  :D

Thanks for the report.