ok here we go again lol

Started by txangler81, August 11, 2014, 05:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

In my never ending quest for knowledge I have run into a brick wall. I am trying to understand the uses of the various types of rods. What are the differences in trolling, downrigger, dippsy diver, boat, stand up, jigging, and casting rods. Until recently I have never put so much thought into the rod I am using. I read somewhere that the trolling/downrigger/dipsy diver rods are not good for casting and can actually break when casting heavier weights do to the large amount of flexibility. Is this a true statement?
Thanks
Dusty

wallacewt

hi dusty
there is 1000,s answers to your ?
if you want a rod,go into a tackle store,that has fishermen serving.
say, i want an ugly stik for trolling,ill be using 50lb line.less than $100.(your budget)
or i want an ugly stik for this or that
then you will see the difference what each rod can do
surf,kayak,boat,jetty,river,dam,ocean the list is endless
stick to 1 brand and compare,doesnt matter what brand
but the price will differ ::)
rods are priced from 10 bucks/$1000.s
you need professional help,and then it still may not suit you.
its a good problem to solve
cheers

txangler81

It's not so much how they feel as what they are used for I have an 8'6" eagle claw downriggers rod that I was going to use with a 209 for catfish but now I'm not so sure I did cast about 1.5 ounces of lead with it today in the back yard and it felt somewhat whippy but it did launch it pretty far

Ron Jones

Your Eagle Claw will work just fine. It will also work as a downrigger rod and a plunking rod. I probably wouldn't troll at high speed with it as it would bounce around a lot but other than that it will work as well as most any entry level rod.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wallacewt

thanks noyb
ive never heard of an eagle claw rod

smnaguwa

I have an 8' Ugly Stik downrigger rod I use for striper trolling in the Sacramento delta. If they're not biting trolling, we sometimes anchor and bait fish. Yes, using the "whippy" downrigger rod, it is difficult to cast a 2-3oz weight easily.

txangler81

smnaguwa thanks for the input that is actually very helpful.

Dusty

txangler81

Ok I am wanting to know the uses of the various types of rods. Saltwater rods are not available in my area so im trying to learn what I can on here. Then I can make an educated decision on what rods I want to use with what.
Thanks
Dusty