Pflueger Templar 1419 3/4 Reel

Started by handi2, August 11, 2014, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Thanks, John. Frederick? Searched the member database, came up blank. I am interested in making this period-correct with the proper handle. I'll peruse the ORCA site in a few.

Thanks.
Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Thanks, John. I've contacted Brian and posted a WTB here and on the ORCA site. If I have to make a wooden knob to put on the proper crank, I will. Brian suggested that may be the best way, these handles are like hen's teeth. I've decided not to chrome anything and will start polishing; can't wait to post pics after she's all polished up.
Chad, thanks for the help with the clutch spring. I'll be tackling that tonight!
Sid Lehr

STRIPER LOU

Looks very nice Sid. Saw one at the tackle show last year and made the mistake of passing it up. Guess you cant buy them all! Nice work.
..........................Lou

cbar45

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 11, 2016, 04:05:05 PM
Mahalo Chad,

And those reels still catch fish today.  There is a club on Oahu that still fish exclusively with Pflueger Templar reels that was past down by their great grandfathers to their fathers, and not them.  Caught fish back then, and catch fish today.

Bryan

Now that is my kind of fishing club, throwing around the old iron ;)....It's ironic though, as some of the old time fishermen I've talked with have advised me NOT to fish the Pfluegers of their day, but rather to save up for the Atlapacs of 2016--more drag, stronger frame, and two speeds!.. :D

On a more serious note, it's great that clubs are showing interest in fishing--and perhaps even restoring--the tackle of old just as Sid has done here, and a very nice job at that..

Chad

sdlehr

I polished her up last night, but she was already so shiny it didn't really change anything. I chrome plated the little bit of brass on the knob stem; I had to play with that kit I bought somehow. There's a learning curve to electroplating that I'm about to investigate. Rule #1 seems to be that the surface you are plating needs to be mirror-smooth before you start. I've not yet discovered the other rules.... it's inevitable that I will. When I get good at it you guys can send me parts to plate....

I never could have done this project without all the knowledge I gained from hanging out here. You guys are great, and I'm honored to be a part of this group.

Sid

SE FL

Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on January 11, 2016, 08:36:41 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 11, 2016, 06:37:07 AM
Love to see some before and after pictures Sid.  
John, I'm having trouble locating the before pictures, here are a few after. The handle isn't original. Somewhere along the line someone welded a fitting onto a Penn handle so it would match the square sleeve on the Pflueger. I don't believe this was done when my dad owned this reel, he likely purchased it this way.

Here's the spool after wet sanding with 2000 grit

Here's a few of the finished(?) product. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do anything with the chrome - I bought a plating kit from Caswell, it arrived today, but I'm thinking of leaving this as it is with the brass spool, maybe just re-chroming the side rings... opinions welcome. This will be a shelfie; I have no oil or grease on it anywhere right now (intentionally, anyway) - it would interfere with plating.

]

Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on January 11, 2016, 11:14:28 PM
Thanks, John. I've contacted Brian and posted a WTB here and on the ORCA site. If I have to make a wooden knob to put on the proper crank, I will. Brian suggested that may be the best way, these handles are like hen's teeth. I've decided not to chrome anything and will start polishing; can't wait to post pics after she's all polished up.

Chad, thanks for the help with the clutch spring. I'll be tackling that tonight!
Sid Lehr

foakes

While easy to forget with all of our hot rod reels, and upgrades, and shiny blinger brands out there today -- even with smaller drags -- these reels and the old timers that used them caught some really big fish...

How did they do it?

They used the advantage of a good heavy duty, stout -- but flexible rod to handle and overcome 80% of their drag difficiencies.

I am not saying anything, that most of us do not know already -- but sometimes we tend to forget (I know I do) when caught up in the technology and engineering of modern reels.

In the proper experienced hands -- just using good technique, finesse, and experience -- large fish can be easily brought to the rail, just by feeling and anticipating the fish, using the rod action to tire the fish -- while using the reel to retrive line when possible.

Many anglers of today expect their reel to do the fishing for them --

While the drag may not have been the top of the line compared to our reels of today -- many of us do not give the other two parts of the equation their due credit -- a good rod, and an experienced angler.

Just a few thoughts, as we honor those old timers and their gear.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on January 11, 2016, 11:14:28 PM

Sid Lehr

handi2

If you still need the pictures I'll be glad to pull it down and take some for you. I have quite a few old reels up on a shelf I can't reach. I need to get them down and take pictures of all of them.

Quite a few bamboo rods too.

I'm waiting on Fred to post some pictures of what I sent him the other day. It's cool and I hope he uses it. I've had it for over 20 years and never taken it out of its "package".

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cbar45

sdlehr

Quote from: cbar45 on April 15, 2016, 03:50:12 PM
Sid, how did it go?
Once I figured out the proper orientation and which way it needed to be loaded it was easy. Kind of. Awkward is a better description, but it's fully operational and I thank you. If I ever do this again I will take pics of the disassembly.

Thanks

Sid
Sid Lehr

cbar45

Way to go Sid!

"Kind of awkward" is a perfect description of the process, accomplished without a proper tool for the job.

Chad

sdlehr

Yeah, it's a pretty stiff spring, so loading it and trying to manipulate it and keep it in place was pretty hairy, but in the end it turned out just fine. I think next time I tear down the reel I'll leave that part as it is...

Thanks for the help, Chad. As I recall I did use two old posts as tools to hold the spring....

Sid
Sid Lehr

cbar45

Quote from: sdlehr on April 20, 2016, 12:55:44 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty stiff spring, so loading it and trying to manipulate it and keep it in place was pretty hairy, but in the end it turned out just fine. I think next time I tear down the reel I'll leave that part as it is...

Thanks for the help, Chad. As I recall I did use two old posts as tools to hold the spring....

Sid

Glad you found my description of installing the spring to be of help.

I felt like a tech-writer typing all that out; wasn't sure how accurate it would be for someone else to follow..;)

Agree with you on leaving the spring in place. Unless damage/etc necessitates removal, that part of the reel can be easily oiled or greased lightly without taking everything apart.