Daiwa Saltist 20HA Broken clutch cam spring. Drill new hole ?

Started by Drisse, August 14, 2014, 04:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hi !

I got a Daiwa Saltist 20HA from a friend. Took it apart an noticed the clutch cam spring was broken. Ordered a new one from Daiwa. The new one is just a little bit bigger but fit. Replaced it and tested the clutch lever. The tiny end on the clutch cam spring that should fit in the little hole on the sideplate doesn't stay there. It slips out of the hole every time. The end of the spring stays in the corner  next to the little hole where it should be seated. Seems to work, but I wonder if anyone has got the same problem ? Maybe drill a new hole in the corner ? Cut the tiny end on the spring so it doesn't scratch the sideplate ?

foakes

Hi Drisse --

Good pictures!

Yes, you might be able to carefully drill a tiny hole in a slightly different location.  

Or, you might mess around trying to bend the spring so it won't pop out.

But it appears as you have indicated, the new spring is incorrect.

As you can see, the legs of the spring seem about the same -- but the coil on your original is much smaller.

What is likely happening is the spring is not operating properly -- because the diameter of the coils are too large -- this will put constant pressure at different points in the cam's travel -- then it was originally designed to do.

Murphy's Law sez that a makeshift repair will nearly always fail during the biggest bite of the year.

There are probably only (2) ways to fix this -- the right way, or all the other ways.

If it were me, and I intended to keep the reel -- I would just get the proper spring.

Wouldn't hurt to send your good pics to the parts supplier.

Just my opinion...

Good luck,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Drisse

Hi Foakes !

Thanks alot for your answer !

The Daiwa distributor here in Sweden claims the spring I got from them should be the right one. First I got one spring, but it was way to big. So I called them again and explained. They said the springs should fit a lot of Saltiga and Saltist reels. Then I got thisone and it should be the right one ? Could they have changed the sizes on the springs or is it simply the wrong size ? Found this now when I googled around.

"Addict,
My son picked up a Saltist this last weekend for the first time and he picked up on engaging the lever in no time at all.
The springs I picked up were the new heavy duty springs and they fit just a little differently than the old small springs. The old small springs hook on to the lever mechanisim from the bottom and the other end is supposed to go in a tiny hole on the reels side plate. The new spring doesn't stay in the original hole- I just have it placed just behind the original hole in the notch- The reel tech at Trails End Pro Bass shop in Fridley was going to drill a small hole back in the corner a little bit to hold the spring- I don't think it is needed. - Sorry no pics- They are also back ordered again on springs- I stopped and picked up a spare plastic gear for the levelwind- just incase one blows up again. On my Saltist 30 there was no wear on the plastic gear- it was in great shape. Parts are cheap and now I can fix most problems in a pinch.
Good Luck"

foakes

Daiwa does change parts from time to time -- usually for the better -- but not in this case.

I would still try to get the correct spring -- that is the easiest and most dependable fix.

Otherwise, you can try to modify the hole location and perhaps also the spring configuration.

I probably have the right spring, but it would be more trouble than it is worth to try and match it up, send it to Sweden, then find out it is still wrong.  I don't have a loose Saltist to take apart and match up the spring, unfortunately.  Someone else on the Board may be able to help better than me.

Good luck...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Drisse

Thanks again !  :)

Yes, its not worth sending a spring. I just emailed the pictures to the swedish Daiwa distributor. Hope they can answer my question.

Drisse

Anyone on the forum who have an Daiwa Saltist 20HA and can make a quick look at the spring ?

mhc

Hello Drisse

I don't have a 20HA but I do have a 30HA which I believe have the same side plates and a wider frame / spool. The spring on my 30HA looks like the heavier spring you were sent as a replacement, the hole to anchor the spring also looks to be closer to the side plate screw housing than your photos show. I don't know if there were different spring set ups for the 20 & 30 or if there were changes to both as they developed the reels - like adding carbon fibre drags as standard after the first few releases.

The spring on my 30HA;

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Drisse

Hi Michael !

Thanks alot ! Yes, your spring sure looks like the replacement spring I got and the little hole is a bit different. Daiwa answered on the mail I sent them with the same pictures as I posted in this thread. It should be the right spring. Since it slips from that little hole I have to drill a new hole. Seems like the only thing to do if Daiwa says I got the right part. They didn't comment the difference between the springs you can see on my first picture.

mhc

Drisse
Yes, although I agree with Fred (foakes) - it would be good to use the original smaller spring without modifying the plate if you can find one, but if your Daiwa distributor doesn't have (or know of) the part, drilling a new hole might be the next best option. Maybe they have stopped making/using the original for a reason  ??? A new hole and spring might be considered an upgrade!

Michael

PS - I should add I'm not an expert by any means - I only tinker with my reels (and a few friends that I trust not to point), and learn from this site as I go.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Drisse

Japp, I agree with you guys that the right spring is the best and most simple solution. But they claim its the right one. And I can order a bunch of springs from other places and maybe not get the right one ? See what I'll do. Emailed Daiwa UK and see what they say. Thanks again !