Work & Magnifier Lamp

Started by betterlate, August 16, 2014, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

betterlate

Does anyone have suggestions on a magnifier light to work on reels with? I am not sure reading glasses are sufficient and so many of the parts are small/miniature.

I appreciate any suggestions.  :)

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

This is what I use --

[/URL

[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/imagejpg3_zps76f17e7d.jpg.html]

Magnification is important -- light and clarity are more important.

The brand is ElectriX.

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

harryk3616

Alto Mare

Fred, you need to stop teasing us ;D. You got some cool toys ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Yep, Harry --

That Cardinal reel series, is one of the best spinners ever made.

There are a few folks who scour the yard sales and flea markets far and wide for me.  They being me any decent reels they run across -- and I buy anything they find, since I appreciate their energy -- and over the years, they know what I like.

I take the good with the bad -- but as a rule, they know I am a fair buyer, don't play games -- and usually pay what they ask, as long as it's in the ball park.

The reels are generally resold to my clients -- and a fair profit is realized, over the long haul, since I try to sell 1 or 2 reels for what I paid for a lot of 10 or so (if they are the right reels).

Yesterday a yard sale guy brought me 31 reels that I purchased from him.  One was the green Cardinal 6, and another was a brown and tan Cardinal 6x.  These will pay for the entire lot of 31 reels, and the other 29 will be profit.

Plus, in the group were some Mitchells, Penns, Quicks, Daiwas, Shakes, and an old vintage Rogue 150.  Most in decent condition.

The 704Z and the (3) 550ssgs came from another source, not this seller.

I'll go through each of them over the next few days -- so they are 100% ready to fish.

[/URL

[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/imagejpg3_zpsf6a4ba18.jpg.html]

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

erikpowell

Nice workbench Fred! And what a collection!
I wish I could be that tidy and organized   :D

VW

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby,
http://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html

I use one like it. Paid twice that several years ago.

Blueclaw

Got an old Cardinal like in the pics.  Thought it was a junker and never fished it.  Guess I need to get it out and try it.  Slow retrieve rate though.

Cone

I have one like the one VW posted. It is a speedway brand from Homier. I picked it up a while back at a Homier sale here for 20 bucks. I looked on line and they have gone up in price. I use it a good bit and I figure I've gotten my moneys worth. They do come in handy for those of us with old eyes.  ;)  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

betterlate

Thanks, I appreciate the great ideas everyone.  8)