Spinner drags overkill

Started by Newell Nut, August 16, 2014, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Quote from: locknut on August 17, 2014, 04:41:35 AM
Not a good outcome. Can I offer an opinion, here in NZ as most places when setting drags particularly on game reels we use a spring scale and pull the line of the reel at a fast walk. Lifting a dead weight will give you a much heavier drag than the 15lbs you have, that's the weight it takes to start the drag not pull off line at a good speed you have probably more like 20lbs drag at the speed a fish will run. These older reels unfortunately will not allow you to crank like a winch at the drag setting you can achieve. It is really important to crank on the down stroke. I had the unfortunate experience of hooking a 100kg Striped Marlin on a 7500 Spinfisher catching bait wow I had not a chance of stopping it eventually ran over the line chasing it. Sometimes its just horses for courses. I sure hope you can salvage the reel.

Jeremy

I also ran away with the weight on the ground and drag stripped nicely with 30 lb line. With snapper there is no pumping action with the rod because the fish is charging straight down with drag stripping off. All that I did with the handle was make an attempt to get some line while pulling hard and never got an inch. It snapped very easy. I saw a 750SS handle break off Saturday and 3 weeks ago I saw a 750 bring in a 50 lb AJ but AJs run around like a wild horse and don't necessarily charge for the bottom for a cutoff.
The handle is just simply too weak of a design in my opinion or just faulty material but I am confident Dr Sal can work some magic.

Cone

Dwight, like Sal said the older pivots are weak. The newer stepped pivot is a lot stronger. It is if its screwed in the left side of the reel. If it is screwed in the right side, the smaller diameter threads can snap just like the older pivot. With your guns, I'm not sure any of them are safe. ;D   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Newell Nut

Maybe I should quit working out so much. My ninja wife just told me to get off the computer and go the gym. Can't win. :-\

Did a little more research and looking at the end of the pivot pin that broke with a 20X I can see that it is chrome plated brass. Pulled the handle off of my 750 and filed a groove in the end of it. Chrome plated brass on that one too. Then took the 850 and tied to a scale and pulled hard and only went to 13 lb so these handles are definitely flawed in design. Looks like 750 and 850 will be restricted to beach use only.

Bought a Conflict 8000 for one of our regulars who died after getting stint surgery so that reel has been in my closet since I never saw him again. Pulled that handle and it is larger in diameter and looks like the handle in the 9500 that I got from Sal. That one is on a surf rod and I don't want to risk messing it up so the Conflict is headed off shore Tuesday.

Since I bought it for old salty and good friend it may be a lucky reel. ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 17, 2014, 06:30:56 PM
Maybe I should quit working out so much. My ninja wife just told me to get off the computer and go the gym. Can't win. :-\

Did a little more research and looking at the end of the pivot pin that broke with a 20X I can see that it is chrome plated brass. Pulled the handle off of my 750 and filed a groove in the end of it. Chrome plated brass on that one too. Then took the 850 and tied to a scale and pulled hard and only went to 13 lb so these handles are definitely flawed in design. Looks like 750 and 850 will be restricted to beach use only.

Bought a Conflict 8000 for one of our regulars who died after getting stint surgery so that reel has been in my closet since I never saw him again. Pulled that handle and it is larger in diameter and looks like the handle in the 9500 that I got from Sal. That one is on a surf rod and I don't want to risk messing it up so the Conflict is headed off shore Tuesday.

Nice to have anything from old salty. ;)
Give it a chance and I will change your mind on the 750. By the way a 850 is a 750 with a wider rotor.
You said you've seen brass, I didn't see it on mine :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Sal, how to feel the original SS models compare to the current version?  I know the newer Penn spinners have the keyed and greased CF drags, but what about durability without upgrading anything but the drag?

I understand the technique for fishing with a spinner. Pump and reel is the method, the spinner is not used to winch in line as with a conventional reel. Nonetheless, if I hook a big snapper, cobia, grouper, etc. and it makes a dive for the reef, is the new reel more likely to hold up when I lay back on the rod and begin to palm that spool?
Central Florida

handi2

Wow that's crazy about your friend. I just had a stent put in my right leg and my left leg was rooted out with an Angiogram and I just bought a Penn Conflict 8000..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: floating doc on August 17, 2014, 11:00:14 PM
Sal, how to feel the original SS models compare to the current version?  I know the newer Penn spinners have the keyed and greased CF drags, but what about durability without upgrading anything but the drag?

I understand the technique for fishing with a spinner. Pump and reel is the method, the spinner is not used to winch in line as with a conventional reel. Nonetheless, if I hook a big snapper, cobia, grouper, etc. and it makes a dive for the reef, is the new reel more likely to hold up when I lay back on the rod and begin to palm that spool?
Floating doc, it wouldn't be fair because you are comparing the SS reel that has proven itself for over 40 years, to a reel that has been around for only two years, we will both  need to wait and see if the newer ones hold up. I would be more concerned about parts availability than the reel failing, from looking at the V series it will definitely need replacement parts more often than the SS, and I'm not saying it's a bad reel, just a different design.
The SS reel wouldn't need as much, simply because there isn't much going on in that reel.
The SS parts were available up to a few months ago, now they're getting hard to find, I've been talking too much here ;D.
Still, we might be able to fix that, but a little more time is needed.
We already have stainless dogs and ratchets, Bryan is looking into a 5+1 kit for those.
We also have and working on other ideas, but have too much going on at the moment, one thing at a time. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

The next spinner for me will be a Penn Torque25 with 80 lb of drag.
;D ;D

Newell Nut

Quote from: handi2 on August 17, 2014, 11:23:06 PM

Wow that's crazy about your friend. I just had a stent put in my right leg and my left leg was rooted out with an Angiogram and I just bought a Penn Conflict 8000..!!

This was Mr. Bill Smock who could really catch some nice fish and he was never sick but he was starting to tire easily. At 89 his system just could not take the strain for surgery. He used to tell me about the days when he was a Corsair pilot a long time ago. Not sure when he started fishing but he loved it and was good at it. We sure miss him.
Just put the conflict on the rod and yes I lifted the 15 lb dumbbell to set it. ;D

floating doc

Dwight, thank you so much for sharing this picture. I'm so glad that you're going to be keeping that reel. It might not have meant as much to me, but you're going to remember Bill every time you use it.

I'm sure sorry I didn't get to know him.
Central Florida

Alto Mare

I didn't get it at fist, you purchased that reel for Mr. Smock, too bad he left us. If you remember I requested a photo of Mr. Smock when you were telling me about him, I wanted to see what he looked like and this was the photo. I would have loved to have met  Mr. Smock and fish next to him :(, may he rest in peace.
You're a lucky man Dwight, for having the opportunity to fish with old timers, we could all learn a lot from them, as I'm sure you did.
Keep that reel in top shape, I'm sure the good old memories will come back every time you use it. ;)

MFB

The trouble is that on the quest for the holy grail of reels, when you find one it will only transfer any problems to the next weakest link. This could be the line, hooks, fish or angler depending on the circumstances. For example if you get a reel that is rated at 50lb drag and spool it with 50lb braid and have arms capable of holding on to it the chances are your going to pull the hook from the fish's mouth.
   Good technique will land more fish than sheer strength alone, the proof of this is seeing kids with photos of marlin they have caught there is no way they can out muscle a fish who's shadow weighs more than they do.

Rgds

Mark

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 18, 2014, 02:10:52 AM
I didn't get it at fist, you purchased that reel for Mr. Smock, too bad he left us. If you remember I requested a photo of Mr. Smock when you were telling me about him, I wanted to see what he looked like and this was the photo. I would have loved to have met  Mr. Smock and fish next to him :(, may he rest in peace.
You're a lucky man Dwight, for having the opportunity to fish with old timers, we could all learn a lot from them, as I'm sure you did.
Keep that reel in top shape, I'm sure the good old memories will come back every time you use it. ;)

Funny thing Sal is that at 65 I am a kid next to the guys in there 80s. Bill was 89 and lived a healthy life style with food and exercise and was never ill until near the end. He always wore a big smile no matter if the fishing was poor or great. If he fought a heavy fish he did not sit down. He put the hook back in the water. I have seen young smokers gasping for air and were done for the day after one heavy fish fight. Bill was a tough guy and a happy guy.

We have another that it 87 and has survived throat cancer from smoking. His legs are really weak now and his fingers are full of arthritis so I tie his hooks and leaders for him when he is on the boat. Frank is another happy guy and a tough guy.

And the legendary Captain Al Coley. At 81 he is tough as nails and has had a horrible life with injuries and surgeries and keeps on going. Al is an extremely tough guy with sort of an abrasive manner of speech so he is either loved by those that understand he wants you to be successful or hated by those that just don't get his intention. A real no nonsense kind of guy and a truly great fisherman.

I am very fortunate to have had my time with Bill and very fortunate to fish with Al and Frank as these guys have so much to share about life.
The two most important things is to have a smile and to be tough as nails no matter what life throws at you. Just keep picking yourself up when you fall. As the old saying goes "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Dwight

basto

This pic is of a Fin Nor 100, a Saragosa 14000f and a PENN 7500SS and their pivots.
The 7500SS pivot is the same thickness as the Saragosa and thicker than the Fin Nor`s.

I think the PENN`s pivot should be strong enough as the two other reels both claim over 40lb of drag.
I realise that the pivot metals could vary, just thought it may be of interest.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

The Saragosa weighs 846gms

The Fin Nor weighs 844gms

The 7500SS weighs 720gms

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n