Spinner drags overkill

Started by Newell Nut, August 16, 2014, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

I have one of each pictured as well as couple of big Cabos and a penn battle, that I like a lot, I alternate them all, it's more about the Rods catching the big fish I have spazzed out and twisted handles off when I was learning how to do it while keeping the reel alive.

I torture test all brands of equipment, my VS is almost indestructible so far.

Alto Mare

material used has a lot to do with it. Not related, but I have two 3/8" bolts on my bump truck, when I purchased the truck, I told the dealer that I didn't trust the size, those are the pins that the bed rides on.
He told me that they were designed with material able to handle the job, 18 years later it's still doing good.
The pivot on the earlier SS series wasn't as strong as the later ones.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

I have read that the earlier SS was the better model because of the brass main gear, but I think I prefer the later model with a good pivot.
I have had my 6500ss for many years now and it has done a lot of work and the aluminium gear still looks good.
Having said that, I just bought a 850ss that has not arrived yet. Don`t know what gear or pivot it has yet. I think these are all great reels.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Basto, if we get enough interest we could probably get someone to make us some heat treated stainless pivots for the 650-750 and 850ss early models. I could use a few myself.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

I might be game, but only if I can get some after hours time on the CNC lathe I run at work.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: basto on October 27, 2014, 08:04:58 PM
I have read that the earlier SS was the better model because of the brass main gear, but I think I prefer the later model with a good pivot.
I have had my 6500ss for many years now and it has done a lot of work and the aluminium gear still looks good.
Having said that, I just bought a 850ss that has not arrived yet. Don`t know what gear or pivot it has yet. I think these are all great reels.
Basto
That is the same impression I have Basto. I have a 6500, 7500, 8500 and 9500. All have the brass gears except for the 6500. I am upgrading it to brass gears as well with a little help from the Boss! All with Brass gears and the beefier pivot.
Life is Good!

basto

Sounds like the perfect Spinfisher!

MFB

My 7500ss has the original bronze gears, and I swapped the bronze gears from an 850ss into my 8500ss which had an aluminium main gear.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

I just noticed that Scott does carry a replacement pivot for the earlier models, I'm sure those are much stronger than the earlier soft ones.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/15B-850.aspx

Basto, don't get rid of the older brass gears just yet, those are of a much better quality than the newer brass ones that will take the larger pivot.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Shark Hunter

I was doing some tinkering last night, and found out that my 6500 to 650 gear swap requires new bearings as well. You can't just swap the main gear alone. You have to change the pinion and the main bearings in my case. The main bearings are the same as the 550. Smaller ID.
Sal, did they make the 550 with bronze gears?
Life is Good!

basto

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 28, 2014, 10:33:41 AM
I just noticed that Scott does carry a replacement pivot for the earlier models, I'm sure those are much stronger than the earlier soft ones.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/15B-850.aspx

Basto, don't get rid of the older brass gears just yet, those are of a much better quality than the newer brass ones that will take the larger pivot.

Don`t worry Sal. I would never get rid of any brass gears. I don`t want to fish any of my SSreels. I just like to collect them and bring them back to good original condition.
I have a 6,7, and (8 on the way.) Just need my 9 now.