Are PENN 501's Line Eaters???

Started by russ1962, August 16, 2014, 11:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ1962

Hello All,

I've got a very nice PENN 501 that I'm going to put on an extra rod but read that some guys complain of them eating line less than 30lb test.
The tolerances on this reel look very tight, and I honestly think that I could fish 12-15 lb line on it with no problems.
The gap between the spool and rings just doesn't look like anything could get it there.

Any opinions or personal experiences from 501 owners would be appreciated!

Marcq

I have 25lb big game on mine and never a problem

I just did this test, I grabbed a piece of 15lb mono and tried to make it go in between the spool and frame but couldn't  ???

I also have a 146 with 17lb mono on it and don't have a problem with the line getting in between the spool and frame  ???

I wonder if this line eater thing is maybe more related to  penns with metal/plastic spool  ???

Marc..

Norcal Pescador

My two 501s have the aluminum spool and have never eaten my 20 or 25# mono or 30 pound braid. :)
Just be mindful on how the line goes back on the reel. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

I've mentioned that same thing in the past, but some still don't believe it :-\. The older reels used to chew up line, the later models are just fine. I fish my 100's as low as 17lb mono for fluke and never had that issue with the line. Keep in mind, the spool needs to sit centered or it won't work.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

russ1962

It's one of the mid to late 80's models.
Sounds like I should be fine with it. :)

Marcq

Quote from: russ1962 on August 17, 2014, 03:03:13 AM
It's one of the mid to late 80's models.
Sounds like I should be fine with it. :)

Mine is an old model 501 but with a newer aluminum spool

Marc..

floating doc

I had a 506 that was useless with 20 :(  Got rid of it, big disappointment.

I have a 500 that came with a bronze spool that had a bent shaft and broken side plate. I just bought an aluminum spool for it, and it looks like it might be a decent fit. I might give it a go, but I'm going to stick with thirty.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

I fish a 99 width 500 with a Newell spool with no issues down to 20 and a 180 with braid and a 100 Newell spool and it is fine also.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I have 60# spectra on all of my 501's, 99 width 500's and 501 width 250's and never have had problems.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

funhog

I have a couple of older 80's vintage reels that would start to eat line under 20 pounds . My quick fix was to apply clear fingernail polish with the little brush it came with , right at the gap while turning the spool with the reel handel . Two aplications about twenty minute apart was all it tookto close up the gap tolorance

doradoben

All of the 501's that I have will fish 20 lb. monofilament line without issue, but none are super old. I recall seeing the nail polish spool mod. on some of the small Penns years ago, on the local So. Cal. party boats. 

Bryan Young

Agree, the older reels may have an issue, but the recent ones (less than 20 years I'd say) don't have any problems.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

floating doc

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 18, 2014, 05:39:14 PM
Agree, the older reels may have an issue, but the recent ones (less than 20 years I'd say) don't have any problems.

I bought my 506 in about 2002. I guess I just got a bad one.

It wasn't a bad ending though, since I sold it for almost what I paid for it (not counting the hours spend magging it), and now it has a tiburon frame and is used for shore fishing on Oahu.
Central Florida

Cone

I have a 501. I haven't tried braid on it yet but you can hardly get a piece of paper shoved in between the spool and frame. I think it would be ok with braid.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD