Southern Sharker's 10/0

Started by Shark Hunter, August 17, 2014, 05:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I did a build for a member here as a favor to the boss. It was a 10/0 that had a handle on it that was definitely different.

Here is the damage. Dirty old grease, broken right side plate, green spool, asbestos drags, sloppy sleeve.

Sleeve shimmed, rings, spool, posts, stand, handle, clamp, eccentric, jack, yoke and gears cleaned and polished. Bearings cleaned, blasted, lubed with Eco Seal. Custom .120 8 stack with ss metals and Delrin Under gear washer.

I don't normally post this many pictures, but I thought The original owner would appreciate it.
Its an important step to grease the inside of the rings. This is why the rings end up cracked and corroded. There is no grease in there to prevent the corrosion that eats them up.

Handle side plate almost ready. Pinion, yoke, jack and eccentric ready for the main gear with bridge and sleeve.
New stainless washer set and 8 stack of .120 cf. Its a tight fit, but will bring maximum drag.

Bridge and all the Business side together.

The only thing missing from this reel is a cherry spool. Everything else is in great shape. I dolled it up the best I could.
Final steps.
Here is your reel Southern Sharker, All it needs is the rod brace.

Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Outstanding work once again S.H. Always like the way you bring these big senators back to life.
That first up handle is a classic bit of "on the fly" engineering. The solution is top notch.

Shark Hunter

Thanks Rothmar. I enjoyed bringing this neglected reel back to the status that it deserves. That handle is definitely a piece of work. ::)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice job Daron ;), I'm sure he'll be very happy with that reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Ya ain't getting better than that... nice, thorough job, bro!
Hope the owner pushes that baby so he'll be able to really appreciate what you've done. ;)
Thanks
Dom

harryk3616

great  job daron like usuall,   love the pictures, never enough, don't stop the pics. he will love the reel now.   take care my friend.

Cone

Great job Daron! I'm sure the owner will appreciate it when he hooks up.    Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

ChileRelleno

Daron, that winch looks great now that you've worked it over.
The owner should get another few decades of use out of it now.
Make a weekend run own here to test it out for him.  ;D
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Thanks for all the comments Guys! ;D The eight stack is a hit or miss. Sometimes they will fit. Luckily, this one fit the gear like a glove. With the star backed all the way off, there is very slight drag. There is 8 .120 CF Drags with an extra keyed on top that barely fits flush. Then another flat and the Belleville. You won't have to worry about bottoming out. After seating the drags, that slight resistance will go away.
Life is Good!