AKIOS 666 SCMW

Started by jaypeegee, August 18, 2014, 12:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I have recently bought one of these brand new.
All in all it is wonderful to use.
As always I have to delve into the mechanics of a reel to best understand how I can maximise it's life and usage and the following is my current query:

I have trouble understanding the purpose and use of a washer in the right hand side of the spool.

Part number 66404

It sits between the spool and the Right hand side bearing and appears to be a spacer or shim.
Removing it introduces a small amount of play even if the end plates are set to have no movement.
I cannot see a secondary purpose for this washer but if anyone here can I would love your input.

The reel is very similar to some of the Ambassadeur range in this regard so a cross referenced opinion is fine.

The OD of the  washer isn't tight in the spool (although it is reasonably close to being so) and the ID of the washer looks to be slightly larger than the inner bearing race
I assume the intended effect is to not interfere with the bearings movement while providing the required spacer role but I cannot prove this empirically.
Removing the washer allows a little spool side play which may impact the free-spool and reduce this as a viable test process.
The washer appears to be ~0.5mm thick (no verniers)

jaypeegee

I have removed the spacer washer and added a piece of brass tube on the right hand side of the bearing.
This is approximately the same thickness and is as high as the inner race of the bearing.
The spool no longer has the play introduced when the washer is removed and freespools at least as long.
My concern now is that I may have impacted how the spool mates with the pinion gear.
Will test.

If anyone brighter or smarter than I cares to share thoughts  on this I would appreciate them.

jaypeegee

Took it for a cast last nite. Very hard to know if it made a positive difference or not due to darkness.
Sounds a little different than pre mod. Not a bad sound. Just a different timbre.
Confirmation bias makes me think it is a good thing.
Over thinking brain condition wants to know definitively.

Guess I will have to cast and measure in the daylight.