Okuma Cedros/Salina II carbontex upgrade.

Started by michaelc, August 24, 2010, 05:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelc

Hi Alan,  I was interested in a little more detail about the drag upgrade you performed on the Cedros spinners.  Did you have the drag washers cut or were you able to adapt some, including the large underspool drag washer?  I did wonder why Okuma went with felt and how long it would last.  

Okumas variation in the southern hemisphere is the Salina II which has a blue body and rotor but otherwise identical with size numbers similar to Shimano 5000/10000/16000.

Did you happen to check the drag numbers as Okuma have made big claims/typo errors with these reels.

alantani

i used a cut down shimano tld 20/30 drag washer (not the best) and three jigmaster #6-309's.  worked great.  okuma is in the process of switching over.  my drag set is not optimum.  wait for okuma to come out with theirs.  stay tuned.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CaptKev

Hey Alan, do you like the Cedros or not? I see you have 2 in the pic with all your long range gear. BTW, I'm drooling over your collection. 

Trying to decide whether to buy Cedros or another brand/model such as Cabo, Penn SSM, etc.   
I just happen to own a half dozen SA-65's which will need some servicing soon. The felt drags have been so-so after 2 years, but Mr. Albie has never destroyed them either. When fishing is hot and it's fish after fish, the drags become a problem. If I could update the drags to carbontex, I'd fish the Salinas a bit longer. 

I compared and noticed that many (all?) of the parts are interchangeable.

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

alantani

the cedros spinner is very nice, and very heavy duty.  it held up better than i did against a sealion.  if you tear it down to pack the bearings, you have to take care to line up the hole in the round gear with the red dot on the eliptical gear.  that is the only trick.  i find spinners difficult because of a bad elbow and a bad shoulder.  i switched the crank to the right hand side and we will see if that makes a difference.  if not, i am done with offshore spinners.  let the young bucks have them, this old man is sticking to conventional two speeds!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!