What advantage does a 112H as over......

Started by Marcq, August 21, 2014, 02:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

A 501 ?  Thinking that line capacity is not an issue anymore with braid and with all the upgrades you can do to a 500/501

It seems that I can't find work for my 112h red, I sometimes I forget that I have one  ::)

Marc..

Keta

The larger OD of the spool gives you slightly more line per revolution.  My 112H's are all 501 width.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CooldadE

I have a couple of 112H reels and love them. Always wanted a narrow one but $$$$ has held me back. I really like my 501 and 506 reels also. Both great reels , through the 112H is a more handsome reel imo... of course the Jigmasters have that whole quick change spool thing :)
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Marcq

Interesting, I know the line retrieve is a bit higher 29" vs 27" for the 501, but if you add a 5:1 gear ration to the 501, I guess it would surpass the 112h in that department too

Marc..

Bryan Young

It's really a stronger framed reel.  Will resist twisting more than a Jigmaster but it has its cost for the added strength...it's called weight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 21, 2014, 06:48:06 AM
It's really a stronger framed reel.  Will resist twisting more than a Jigmaster but it has its cost for the added strength...it's called weight.

But if you add a Tiburon frame to the Jigmaster. Like, I'm talking about a fully loaded jigmaster, is there a need for a 112h?

Marc..

Bryan Young

Even with a tib frame, the removeable sideplate securement is still not the same as sidepates being screwed together.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

If you put 5:1 gears in the 112H the retrieval advantage is still there. The 112H is the width of a 99 and so it is easier to lay line level. I like the drag range advantage. With the same pressure on the drag stack a 112H will have less drag at the line than the 500 when both spools are full. Because the 112H is more narrow it's spool empties faster and therefore ramps it's drag up faster. This is important if you are running high drag settings on a built reel.

With Alan Cs. 5:1 gears, the 500 with a full spool can handle lots of drag but the pinion will shred in a full 112H. If a fish were to spool a 112H that had a lower original drag setting the 112H would have the same drag as a 500 once the spool empties to the diameter of a full 500. In my way of thinking, unless you have hooked into a freight train, a fish will slow its run down before it has spooled a 112H especially with the increased drag. At least that is a theory I would like the opportunity to put to the test.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 21, 2014, 07:18:22 AM
Even with a tib frame, the removeable sideplate securement is still not the same as sidepates being screwed together.

Ho Yah non exploding reels!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Marcq

You guys make a lot of sense

Thanks, Marc..

Alto Mare

Quote from: Marcq on August 21, 2014, 07:30:42 AM
You guys make a lot of sense

Thanks, Marc..
You might be better off with the 501, there are many custom parts available for that reel
Quote from: Bryan Young on August 21, 2014, 07:18:22 AM
You could make that side-plate just as strong if you wanted to, the parts are available to do so. Personally, I never had any issues with the removable plates.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Sal,

Out of interest, what parts are needed to strengthen the sideplate?

Mike.

Alto Mare

Here you go Mike:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/1-500S.aspx
Scotts is out of them, I wouldn't be surprised if Ron grabbed them all ;D, but you should still be able to find them, if you look around.
I did not hunt them down, simply because I believe the  501 plates are just fine, I caught a nice size shark with one of those and they never blew up,  that was good enough for me.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Marcq on August 21, 2014, 06:09:59 AM
Interesting, I know the line retrieve is a bit higher 29" vs 27" for the 501, but if you add a 5:1 gear ration to the 501, I guess it would surpass the 112h in that department too

Marc..

The same gears can be put into a 112H.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

I haven't installed it yet, but I bought Tiburon's T3BFSK Extra-Wide Topless Frame & Spool Kit for my 112H. They call it the "Bluefin Special", and I can't wait to try it out.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D