Penn SSV4500LL tutorial

Started by Leons_Bad_Side, August 19, 2014, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leons_Bad_Side

I've got a SSV4500LL that is not working correctly. Last time I used it the live line drag wasn't disengaging to the main drag. Even if I manually flipped the live liner handle. It would also not trip the live liner handle automatically when reeling. If there is a tutorial or some info on this I sure would appreciate it.

Pete

Cone

Leon, I haven't opened up a SSV live liner yet. I bet the live liner mech is basically the same as the Slammer live liner reels. You may try looking at this tutorial.   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3205.0  Let us know if it works. 
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

johndtuttle

Quote from: Cone on August 19, 2014, 07:50:55 PM
Leon, I haven't opened up a SSV live liner yet. I bet the live liner mech is basically the same as the Slammer live liner reels. You may try looking at this tutorial.   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3205.0  Let us know if it works. 
Bob

x2

And @op if you get into trouble I have one that I can open up and take some photos of to help you get it back together. All of the LL mechanisms are rather complex and finicky. Hopefully the fine tutorial linked above will help you out.

Leons_Bad_Side

Thank you for replying. Looking at the tutorial photos the Slammer series looks a bit different than the one I have. Ill try to get some photos and post them. Taking mine apart it looks clean and not corroded so not sure whats up.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Leons_Bad_Side on August 19, 2014, 09:43:10 PM
Thank you for replying. Looking at the tutorial photos the Slammer series looks a bit different than the one I have. Ill try to get some photos and post them. Taking mine apart it looks clean and not corroded so not sure whats up.

I have seen other bait runner mechanisms that get a tiny bend in the tripping mechanism and begin to fail (improper alloy/treatment for part), so take a close look for any unusual deformation.

Penn would likely be very happy to see your reel if you still have trouble so that they can trouble shoot it and head off any future problems if it comes to that.

Three se7ens

My okuma baitrunners are picky about how they are assembled. It needs to be done in the right order with the parts in the proper orientation for it to work. I have encountered the same problems when the trip lever wasn't positioned properly during assembly.

Leons_Bad_Side

Yes I agree. I took it apart and moved some things around and put it back together and it worked a couple of times so Im thinking that something might be bent a little bit someplace, or worn in the wrong place.

Leons_Bad_Side

I gotta say though my Okuma baitrunners have worked flawlessly!

Leons_Bad_Side

Here are a couple of pics with the case cracked open.