General Washer Question

Started by RAM3, August 24, 2010, 04:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM3

This is my first post on the board and I have read through just about everything on this board. I see that in your tools of the trade you have a selection of Penn washes. When someone sends you a reel for repair do you first try to find a washer that will fit out of your stock on do you only use those for Penn reels. I have some Abu Garcia reels that I want to try and work on and want to know if I need to get OEM parts or could use Penn parts. Thanks for the help and love this website.

RBJ   

Bub B.

I think you can use the Penn drag washers as long as the measurements are close.

akfish

Yes, you can use Penn HT-100s in any reel that takes the same size drag washers. I use HT-100 in several Shimano reels (including Calcuttas and TR200s) and some Ambassadeurs. The Carbontex washers from Smooth Drag are at least as good as Penn drag washers and the Smooth Drag website shows which drag washers fit which reels.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

I believe the Abu Garcia reels use thinner drag washers and probably SmoothDrag washers would be a better fit than Penn's HT-100s.  Here's the link to Penn's washers and SmoothDrag dimensions, respectively.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1016.0

If need a set, just contact SmoothDrag directly and inform Dawn with the reel you need replacement drags for and she may already have a set available for you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RAM3

Wow you guys are quick, just took lunch and come back to three replys. The two brands that you mention require grease when you put them on correct? What would happen if I uses washers that are thicker that the ones that come with my reel, is there that much difference? The last question is why would I not want to replace them with OEM washers. Are the OEM'S more expensive of are they just not up to par with the other 2 that you guys have mentioned. Thanks for your input.

RBJ

Bryan Young

Carbon drag washers do not require drag grease, but you will notice how much smoother the drags are with the drag grease with very little effect of drag pressure.

Thicker washers may be okay if it does not stick out too far.  Draw backs is that if the drag stack stick out too far, you may have internal contact with the side plate, may have loss in your lower drag range or if the stack has eared washers, they may need to be bent downwards towards the gear to allow engagement with the gear.

OEM, not sure if carbon drags are available for the reel you are referring to, and I would not use anything else but greased carbon fiber drag washers, and I am slowly upgrading all of my reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D