Two more upgrades for my 501

Started by Marcq, August 23, 2014, 11:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

I just got an email from a member about my spacing sleeve part within the kit. He told me that it seems that Alan Tani's SS sleeve (98-505AT) will not fit my spacing sleeve. He had to use a dremel and grind very slightly down on the inside. Other than that, my spacing sleeve fits all other.

Marcq

Quote from: Black Pearl on August 25, 2014, 11:55:25 PM
I just got an email from a member about my spacing sleeve part within the kit. He told me that it seems that Alan Tani's SS sleeve (98-505AT) will not fit my spacing sleeve. He had to use a dremel and grind very slightly down on the inside. Other than that, my spacing sleeve fits all other.

He as the fine tooth  SS sleeve

I have (98-60AT)course tooth  and it fits perfect

Marc..

Alto Mare

One of the first thing I mentioned to Alan was that you needed more washers, your picture of the main gear shows the last eared washer is sitting lower than the lip of the gear.
Let us know how much you're getting after you add more washers.
I got 24lbs with mine, but you should keep it at 20lbs or less, that's what Alan and I decided on, that's why I only mentioned 20lbs earlier.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 26, 2014, 02:22:54 AM
One of the first thing I mentioned to Alan was that you needed more washers, your picture of the main gear shows the last eared washer is sitting lower than the lip of the gear.
Let us know how much you're getting after you add more washers.
I got 24lbs with mine, but you should keep it at 20lbs or less, that's what Alan and I decided on, that's why I only mentioned 20lbs earlier.

Yeah, like I mention earlier I had completely forgotten that I had the custom gear, will let you know how it turns out Sal

Thanks, Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: erikpowell on August 23, 2014, 11:19:53 PM
Yeah, I've taken my 501 down numerous times, same setup, I haven't been able to hit 20lbs yet either...
Still maxing out at 12-14lbs.
I'm thinking maybe a little more leverage with a bigger star??

I think the star drag of a 309/49 is bigger and would fit but not sure how much bigger

Marc..

garking84

Well there you go maybe that's why I had problems with mine.   I also have the 98-505 gear sleeve.  Why can't the fine thread sleeve be used?  What are the problems that it causes? .

Mine seemed  to crank very rough with original spacer bars.  But I installed a tiburon frame last night and now it seems to be good.   

Black Pearl

Quote from: garking84 on August 26, 2014, 05:54:40 PM
Well there you go maybe that's why I had problems with mine.   I also have the 98-505 gear sleeve.  Why can't the fine thread sleeve be used?  What are the problems that it causes? .

Mine seemed  to crank very rough with original spacer bars.  But I installed a tiburon frame last night and now it seems to be good.   

I am not saying 98-505 gear sleeve can not be fitted with my custom spacing sleeve. You will need to use a dremel and grind very slightly down on the inside of my spacing sleeve to make it fit.

I have not heard anyone has the same problem as you when the original spacers bars are used.

Thanks,
--Alan

Alto Mare

Alan C., keep in mind that this could be just on one, those are made one at a time. I had a sleeve from Alan that didn't fit in your gear ID, I tried another of the same and it did :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 26, 2014, 09:29:50 PM
Alan C., keep in mind that this could be just on one, those are made one at a time. I had a sleeve from Alan that didn't fit in your gear ID, I tried another of the same and it did :-\.

Understandable. We should just let people aware of it. Just in case.

Alto Mare

I just received the gears and the new spacer, thanks Alan, that spacer looks very nice.
As previously stated, I'm not crazy about the Belleville on this reel, it does ok in my 113H and 114H, but never have luck in these, I believe its just too stiff.

with the combination shown above, I was only getting 12lbs, a little more if I turned the star with two hands...no good, so I replaced the Belleville with the Penn tension spring and all was good from there.

If you happen to have the deeper gears you will need (6) washers

The deeper gear wall thickness at the base is 1.33mm and here is what works for me in those

If you have the regular gears, the wall is 2.37mm thick and this is what works in those

I'm still trying to figure out why the deeper gears where requested, to me they don't help much :-\.
Anyway, I tested the reel with both gears (6 washers & 5 washers) and I got 24lbs at max on both. Keep in mind, Alan Chui recommends 20lbs at full and since he's the one that made these available to us and in charge, we should follow his suggestion.
As you can see, I have a delrin sitting next to the last carbon fiber washer, that is how my reels are set up, one delrin washer under the gear and one just under the last metal washer on top, use whatever you're comfortable with.
Sal

Marcq

Cool! I'm going to try it when I get my two extra washers

Thanks, Sal

Marc..

Black Pearl

Sal, how about Jigmaster 505 or 506?

Alto Mare

One at a time buddy ;), tough day at work and I'm tired. I will try that one tomorrow.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 29, 2014, 12:56:05 AM
One at a time buddy ;), tough day at work and I'm tired. I will try that one tomorrow.

You are like an Iron Man to most of us.

Alto Mare

By the way, I tried the combination with the 5 washers as I'm showing on the last pic and added the delrin washer on top, right under the tension spring, the reel feels much smoother.
I believe  the delrin washer  will be ok there, those are tough,  just in case it would need replacement after a season it's not a big deal but I'm thinking you won't need to.
Don't worry about having enough clearance with the extra washer, there is plenty there.
I'm liking this combination best, even better than the deeper gears.
The reel feels very nice and gets to 20lbs by moving the star with my finger, but your fingers might not be as big as mine :-\ ;D... I like it!