Two more upgrades for my 501

Started by Marcq, August 23, 2014, 11:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Pro Challenger 5:1 gears  and Bryan's  drag kit

I had previously upgraded  to Alan SS gear sleeve and Pro Challenger double dogs

Drag kit fits perfect Bryan

With room to spare

Spacing sleeve that comes with the 5:1 gear on the left, pretty beefy

Ready to install the transmission back in

Project completed

I get a maximum of 12lb drag, was hoping for more, compared to my 146 with the same kit, higher gear ratio ? Looks like I would have room for extra washer?
Gears are working great, line retrieve from 27" to 33"

Marc..

Black Pearl

12# of drag only. I thought that Sal tested with 20# of drag. I will have to check with Sal about that.

erikpowell

Yeah, I've taken my 501 down numerous times, same setup, I haven't been able to hit 20lbs yet either...
Still maxing out at 12-14lbs.
I'm thinking maybe a little more leverage with a bigger star??

Black Pearl

We just have to wait until Sal is back online to sort that out.

Lensters

Use a 505 star and gear sleeve then add spacer washers to the top of the drag stack and I'll guarantee you'll be able to lock the drag solid.  ;)
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Shark Hunter

Regardless of the drag numbers. That looks like an awesome build. I have all the parts except for the gears. I will be happy with 14 lbs on a 5:1 Jigmaster. That's something you won't get anywhere else! ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

You may try using a stock keyed washer for the last washer to increase the height.  I got 24# from my 501.  I think Sal got 28# and then Broke the pinion gear shortly thereafter.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

I thought if there's still room to spare, we're not fully optimized.. but I just haven't gotten around to swapping washer thicknesses yet.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 24, 2014, 05:53:15 AM
Regardless of the drag numbers. That looks like an awesome build. I have all the parts except for the gears. I will be happy with 14 lbs on a 5:1 Jigmaster. That's something you won't get anywhere else! ;)
But Daron, I wanna be able to swap a spool of 65lb braid on that and be ready for the stray Dogtooth or GT  ;D

doradoben

Marc, are all of the washers in the same order as a 113h?

Black Pearl

Marcq,

Let's wait until Sal is back. His gear sets are on it way to him.

Thanks,
Alan

Black Pearl

Sal is out of town. He ask me to let you guy know that to use the PENN tension spring on the star.

Sal will be back next Tuesday.

bluefish69

Put that tension spring inside the reel to build the stack. I put them in the Newell's this way when height is needed in the stack. It will also give you slower ramp up on the drag.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

It looks like another eared washer might fit into the gear, if so you can add 2 more drag washers in the stack.  I'd also loose the wavy spring washer and replace it with a Bellville.

If you put in more washers bend the ears down on the last eared washer so it engages the slots in the gear better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Marcq

So I tried all the above advice, I'm becoming an expert at taking that thing apart

The best result I could get so far is replace the first drag washer(in the gear) with a thicker one, built the stack up with the bellville on top+ the sleeve and installing the spring washer on the exterior before the star drag. At the minimum drag setting I have a little  bit of drag(like it better this way) and a bit better max drag but nowhere near 20lb

Definitely enough room on that gear to have an extra carbontex+washer. And  a bigger star drag would help. I would be fine with 12lb at 3/4 drag setting

Marc..

Marcq

Just realize that the gear that I have are the custom one (thanks Alan for reminding me), they are mill deeper to accommodate two extra washer DOH!!   

No wonder I max out at 12lb

Marc..